ML's log

VenomousCoffee

Re: ML's log

Post by VenomousCoffee »

ml1985 wrote:Base building phase, week 1, day 3
30 minutes LSS run
31:45, 2.61 miles (12:09 min/mile), avg HR 143 bpm

Nothing much to say, except that it's quite cool outside and the rain was freezing. Running in t-shirt and shorts was not the best idea.
So jealous. I ran 9 to 10 this morning and it was already a very humid 85.

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

VenomousCoffee wrote:
ml1985 wrote:Base building phase, week 1, day 3
30 minutes LSS run
31:45, 2.61 miles (12:09 min/mile), avg HR 143 bpm

Nothing much to say, except that it's quite cool outside and the rain was freezing. Running in t-shirt and shorts was not the best idea.
So jealous. I ran 9 to 10 this morning and it was already a very humid 85.
I hear you. I totally hate humidity during summer. Give me freezing conditions and I'll be happy. It was 7C (45F) when I ran; I just wasn't prepared (and neither was my dog).

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

Base building phase, week 1, day 4
SE cluster (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, squats, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, back extensions)
2 sets, 10 reps (2 reps for pull-ups), 60s rest between exercises, 120s rest between circuits

For this first week, the SE circuits were somewhat easy. But since this is the first time on BB and that I'm not used to many reps, I'll probably do 10/15/20/25 over the next few weeks and try to keep the rest somewhat short between exercises (60s). I'm really liking this type of training so far.

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

Base building phase, week 1, day 5
60 minutes LSS run
1:00:54, 5.06 miles (12:06 min/mile), avg HR 144 bpm

Very happy about this last run. I was able to maintain the same pace for one hour and didn't feel too much of a strain. Legs were a little heavy towards the end though. This morning, my knees and ankles are a bit sore. I really have to lose some weight; current bodyfat is a bit high (probably around 15-18%), I'd like to get down to 8-10% at a bodyweight of 160-165. Two rest days (although I might go to an open mat tomorrow) and next week starts Saturday.

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

Base building phase, week 2, day 1
40 minutes LSS run
42:16, 3.48 miles (12:08 min/mile), avg HR 143 bpm

Hotter today and it was windy on the way back. Happy with how it went today.

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

Base building phase, week 2, day 2
SE cluster (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, squats (10 lbs), push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, back extensions)
2 sets, 15 reps (3 reps for pull-ups), 60s rest between exercises, 120s rest between circuits

I'll probably switch to a "regular" SE circuit, as doing twice the amount of push-ups and pull-ups, even if my numbers are low, is quite already hard on 15/3 reps. Last set of push-ups, I had to do 10/5 reps and on pull-ups, I had to do 1/1/1. So next time, I'll do swings, push-ups, squats, pull-ups, back extensions, sit-ups. And finally, I really have to lose some weight. I know I'm not that heavy, but losing 15/20 lbs will help me in my quest of being healthier and more athletic in general.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Just my two cents, but I think you're going to find that dropping weight during BB to be tough. Those running miles can add up, and you're probably going to have to eat to keep up with the demands. I expected to lose weight during mine but it just didn't happen (even though I kept upping my run times/distances).

If it's any consolation, you can in fact get through BB at a higher weight. I've done it!

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

VenomousCoffee wrote:Just my two cents, but I think you're going to find that dropping weight during BB to be tough. Those running miles can add up, and you're probably going to have to eat to keep up with the demands. I expected to lose weight during mine but it just didn't happen (even though I kept upping my run times/distances).

If it's any consolation, you can in fact get through BB at a higher weight. I've done it!
My problem is that I simply don't eat enough fruits and vegetables and eat too much junk food, so it's kind of easy to ingest too many calories. I think focusing on eating 10 servings of fruits and veggies will be of great help in keeping my weight in check and reduce inflammation.

Base building phase, week 2, day 3
40 minutes LSS run
41:07, 3.39 miles (12:07 min/mile), avg HR 143 bpm

I thought I was running faster, but my watch said otherwise. I had to constantly drag my dog through the run. She didn't want to run today. Tomorrow will be a rest day as I'll be out of town for work.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Oh, I see on the food. YMMV, but after you clean up your diet you should probably check your calorie intake vs what you're spending on BB. This spring, I started making my own trail mix to keep my intake up.

ml1985

Post by ml1985 »

VenomousCoffee wrote:Oh, I see on the food. YMMV, but after you clean up your diet you should probably check your calorie intake vs what you're spending on BB. This spring, I started making my own trail mix to keep my intake up.
Yep, I'll keep an eye on my calories soon and aim to lose around 1 lb a week. Depending on how I perform at the end of BB, I might do green protocol first instead of black. I'll expend more calories and will have to keep them up.

Base building phase, week 2, day 4
SE cluster (KB swings (16 kg), push-ups, squats (10 lbs), pull-ups, back extensions, sit-ups)
3 sets, 15 reps (3 reps for pull-ups), 60s rest between exercises, 120s rest between circuits

It went way better this time around with that regular cluster. I'm still not used to higher reps, so I think I made the right choice of keeping the reps on the lower side and keeping the rest somewhat short. I was sweating quite a lot at the end of the third set.