DB Bulgarian split squat 4x8 35kg total
Benchpress 65kg 3x8
Weighted pull-ups 5kg 3x8

GHD 2x10

Stretch hip and lower back focus

Adski

Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Adski »

Hey mate, how are you adding in the extra reps, (besides by simply doing them), are you recalculating your maxes or using a different percentage at all?

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

6/7/21

30 min Treadmill LSS

I had a quick change and slept at work. Just an easy treadmill run to get some work in. Nothing more than a run to tick the box as I was unable to hit up my usual 2xBJJ due to rostering.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Adski wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:38 am Hey mate, how are you adding in the extra reps, (besides by simply doing them), are you recalculating your maxes or using a different percentage at all?
I just use it as a form of forced progression. I add some sets or reps instead of adding weight. I am pretty strong in the 5-1 rep range and actually struggle more during the 8,6 rep weeks than I do during the 4,3 rep weeks. I easily hit all my sets in the heavier weeks and feel quite strong.

I find for me personally that my training 3-5 RMs increase if I improve my 10-8 rep work sets. I hate the extra work and it makes those lower rep sets feel easy. I come from an Olympic lifting/powerlifting back ground and I have always had strong 1RMs and can peak them with 6-8 weeks of targeted training.

A comfortable couple of sets of 3-5 at 100kg has me good for a 140-160kg squat to compare. If I actually worked at my proper percentages I would be doing works sets in the 120-130kg range and it would only add 5-15kg to my back squat training max. I can maintain my lifts at high enough levels for sport and life with an 8,6,4,2 rep range and never have to actually lift heavy weights.

I follow some different strength and conditioning coaches, in particular one that mentions that most elite drug free athletes train in the 70% range. Their efforts are either super easy or extremely intense and it averages out to 70%. I try to keep the majority of my training in this range, adding reps instead of max weight allows to to slowly lift that 70% number up in my strength training.

I am looking at resetting back to Grouchy's original program as written after my next 3-4 weeks and some true 1RM testing. SO I will drop back to traditional 5RMs etc then. I think after the extended single leg and higher volume unilateral work I will be ready to improve my back squat again.

I am a touch sleep deprived at the moment after coming off nightshift so hopefully that answers your question in a roundabout way.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

TB OP I/A Week 5 Strength Session 2
General warmup

Bulgarian Squat 3x8 35kg
Benchpress 3x8 65kg
Weighted Pullup 3x8 5kg

Shoulder complex 3kg

Plank x 3rounds
1min/30sec rest

HIC
500m row x3 rounds
1:50-2:00min work/5 min rest

Stretching cooldown

Adski

Post by Adski »

Maxrip13 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 pm
Adski wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:38 am Hey mate, how are you adding in the extra reps, (besides by simply doing them), are you recalculating your maxes or using a different percentage at all?
I just use it as a form of forced progression. I add some sets or reps instead of adding weight. I am pretty strong in the 5-1 rep range and actually struggle more during the 8,6 rep weeks than I do during the 4,3 rep weeks. I easily hit all my sets in the heavier weeks and feel quite strong.

I find for me personally that my training 3-5 RMs increase if I improve my 10-8 rep work sets. I hate the extra work and it makes those lower rep sets feel easy. I come from an Olympic lifting/powerlifting back ground and I have always had strong 1RMs and can peak them with 6-8 weeks of targeted training.

A comfortable couple of sets of 3-5 at 100kg has me good for a 140-160kg squat to compare. If I actually worked at my proper percentages I would be doing works sets in the 120-130kg range and it would only add 5-15kg to my back squat training max. I can maintain my lifts at high enough levels for sport and life with an 8,6,4,2 rep range and never have to actually lift heavy weights.

I follow some different strength and conditioning coaches, in particular one that mentions that most elite drug free athletes train in the 70% range. Their efforts are either super easy or extremely intense and it averages out to 70%. I try to keep the majority of my training in this range, adding reps instead of max weight allows to to slowly lift that 70% number up in my strength training.

I am looking at resetting back to Grouchy's original program as written after my next 3-4 weeks and some true 1RM testing. SO I will drop back to traditional 5RMs etc then. I think after the extended single leg and higher volume unilateral work I will be ready to improve my back squat again.

I am a touch sleep deprived at the moment after coming off nightshift so hopefully that answers your question in a roundabout way.
Yea that makes sense. Volume before intensity. I also like to slow lifts down, add pauses etc, I may have to give adding more reps a go in the lighter weeks sometime. That sounds like a good efficient way of working. Thanks again.