Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Maxrip13

Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Maxrip13 »

8/7/21

BJJ midday Gi

Side control escapes using the under hook, using hand on calf to come up into takedowns

5 rounds rolling (2 Warm up, 3 finish class)

BJJ Evening No Gi

Side control escapes using the under hook, using hand on calf to come up into takedowns

5 rounds rolling (2 warmup, 3 finish class)

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Adski wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:48 am
Maxrip13 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 pm
Adski wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:38 am Hey mate, how are you adding in the extra reps, (besides by simply doing them), are you recalculating your maxes or using a different percentage at all?
I just use it as a form of forced progression. I add some sets or reps instead of adding weight. I am pretty strong in the 5-1 rep range and actually struggle more during the 8,6 rep weeks than I do during the 4,3 rep weeks. I easily hit all my sets in the heavier weeks and feel quite strong.

I find for me personally that my training 3-5 RMs increase if I improve my 10-8 rep work sets. I hate the extra work and it makes those lower rep sets feel easy. I come from an Olympic lifting/powerlifting back ground and I have always had strong 1RMs and can peak them with 6-8 weeks of targeted training.

A comfortable couple of sets of 3-5 at 100kg has me good for a 140-160kg squat to compare. If I actually worked at my proper percentages I would be doing works sets in the 120-130kg range and it would only add 5-15kg to my back squat training max. I can maintain my lifts at high enough levels for sport and life with an 8,6,4,2 rep range and never have to actually lift heavy weights.

I follow some different strength and conditioning coaches, in particular one that mentions that most elite drug free athletes train in the 70% range. Their efforts are either super easy or extremely intense and it averages out to 70%. I try to keep the majority of my training in this range, adding reps instead of max weight allows to to slowly lift that 70% number up in my strength training.

I am looking at resetting back to Grouchy's original program as written after my next 3-4 weeks and some true 1RM testing. SO I will drop back to traditional 5RMs etc then. I think after the extended single leg and higher volume unilateral work I will be ready to improve my back squat again.

I am a touch sleep deprived at the moment after coming off nightshift so hopefully that answers your question in a roundabout way.
Yea that makes sense. Volume before intensity. I also like to slow lifts down, add pauses etc, I may have to give adding more reps a go in the lighter weeks sometime. That sounds like a good efficient way of working. Thanks again.
I just use it an easy way to push up my total work capacity and add a small amount of mass training. I don't chase Max Strength much anymore and I am happy to hit an easy 3-4 RM as opposed to a hard 1RM. As I have gotten older I have definitely swapped more towards a strength endurance type approach, but when I do test Max Strength I am still pretty close strength wise. I love pause squats and use them in my warm ups some times. I have always planned to use them for a period just to focus on back squat increases, but haven't got around to it yet. I just love using TB as my framework and making minor changes to meet my goals at the time to be honest.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

9/7/21

TB OP I/A Week 5 Strength Session 3
General warmup

Deadlift 1x5 90kg
KB OHP 3x5 16kg KB

Turkish getups
Alt L,R 10 reps total

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

10/7/2021

BJJ Midday Gi

Mount escapes

2x5 rounds rolling

Adski

Post by Adski »

Maxrip13 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:57 pm
Adski wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:48 am
Maxrip13 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 pm

I just use it as a form of forced progression. I add some sets or reps instead of adding weight. I am pretty strong in the 5-1 rep range and actually struggle more during the 8,6 rep weeks than I do during the 4,3 rep weeks. I easily hit all my sets in the heavier weeks and feel quite strong.

I find for me personally that my training 3-5 RMs increase if I improve my 10-8 rep work sets. I hate the extra work and it makes those lower rep sets feel easy. I come from an Olympic lifting/powerlifting back ground and I have always had strong 1RMs and can peak them with 6-8 weeks of targeted training.

A comfortable couple of sets of 3-5 at 100kg has me good for a 140-160kg squat to compare. If I actually worked at my proper percentages I would be doing works sets in the 120-130kg range and it would only add 5-15kg to my back squat training max. I can maintain my lifts at high enough levels for sport and life with an 8,6,4,2 rep range and never have to actually lift heavy weights.

I follow some different strength and conditioning coaches, in particular one that mentions that most elite drug free athletes train in the 70% range. Their efforts are either super easy or extremely intense and it averages out to 70%. I try to keep the majority of my training in this range, adding reps instead of max weight allows to to slowly lift that 70% number up in my strength training.

I am looking at resetting back to Grouchy's original program as written after my next 3-4 weeks and some true 1RM testing. SO I will drop back to traditional 5RMs etc then. I think after the extended single leg and higher volume unilateral work I will be ready to improve my back squat again.

I am a touch sleep deprived at the moment after coming off nightshift so hopefully that answers your question in a roundabout way.
Yea that makes sense. Volume before intensity. I also like to slow lifts down, add pauses etc, I may have to give adding more reps a go in the lighter weeks sometime. That sounds like a good efficient way of working. Thanks again.
I just use it an easy way to push up my total work capacity and add a small amount of mass training. I don't chase Max Strength much anymore and I am happy to hit an easy 3-4 RM as opposed to a hard 1RM. As I have gotten older I have definitely swapped more towards a strength endurance type approach, but when I do test Max Strength I am still pretty close strength wise. I love pause squats and use them in my warm ups some times. I have always planned to use them for a period just to focus on back squat increases, but haven't got around to it yet. I just love using TB as my framework and making minor changes to meet my goals at the time to be honest.
True. I don’t really chase numbers and don’t really test either. That’s definitely a good approach that you have. I’m finding that small tinkering adjustments with TB are definitely good for me long term, I know a lot of people that don’t follow a program and maintain or progress strength well, Ross being at the top of the list, however that approach doesn’t work as well for me.
Chasing a good triple or more when testing is also a very good approach.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

12/7/2021

TB OP I/A Week 6 Strength Session 1
Short warmup

Bulgarian Squat 4x6 45kg
Benchpress 4x6 75kg
Weighted Pullup 3x6 10kg

Back extensions
2x15

30 Min LSS
3.79km
Avg HR:151bpm
Set the treadmill at 7:53 per km and just cruised
5 min cooldown walk

Long stretching session focusing on lower body

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

13/7/21

BJJ No gi midday
North south escapes

Bjj No gi Evening
North south escapes

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

15/7/21

Bjj No gi evening
Back escapes

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

TB OP I/A Week 6 Strength Session 2
General warmup

Deadlift 1x5 100kg
KB OHP 3x5 20kg KB

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

19/7/2021

TB OP I/A Week 7 Strength Session 1
Short warmup

Bulgarian Squat 3x4 56kg
Benchpress 3x4 80kg
Weighted Pullup 1x4 10kg,2x4 15kg

Just the bare minimum today due to being run down and in another lockdown. The plan is to just do a few easy strength sessions this week and finish off this block. I go into nightshift next week and might just take it as a full day off rest before doing a retest for my next block. If lockdown continues I will go back to back squats as I can not do BJJ anymore.