Green2Blue TB Log

Green2Blue

Re: Green2Blue TB Log

Post by Green2Blue »

Barkadion wrote:
Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Happens to all of us, mate. So many factors that can contribute.. Lack of sleep is the main one for me. It doesn't matter if I am really ready to push it by all means.. I will feel weak if I am not sleeping enough..
Recovery is paramount, as you are aware.

At the end of the day, training is a stressor, a good stressor for sure, but stress at the end of the day...... work, life, family, lack of sleep etc all contribute to stress [not all good]..... so sometimes the body is too stressed to fully function..... it is on these days I look to simply move..[walk, run in the trails etc]...... if going to the gym is a must, then I look to complete an 'easy-ish' warm up, or run / row / bike, mobilise the joints, then I have a 'play' with either KB's or BB.... and do a complex.... nothing fancy, I may even play with a skill I want to work on.

I went through a period of this earlier this year..... and ended up having some of the best sessions I'd had in a long time.
Right. I'd add that body can adjust if you are being persistent. Even to the "bad "stress such as lack of the sleep. It is controversial topic.. but.. it can be done to some degree. I always opt to eat more to compensate :D :D
I appreciate the input guys. It's certainly stress related. Just too much to do and too little time, at work and home. Being busy has led to a lack of calories and sleep as well. Things should be getting back to normal in about a week though.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

09/22/16
Conditioning (Green)
Block 4
Week 3
Day 4

LSS
Distance: 3 miles
Time: 27 mins
Average Pace:
Average RPE: 6

Notes
-My conditioning has NOT gone how I wanted it to this block. I'll probably have to repeat green next block instead of rotating to black like I wanted. My shoe issue has just really messed things up. It's pretty frustrating having my training messed up by something so silly.
-RPE was a bit higher than usual for that pace. I imagine due to running a few miles with cadets after my MS yesterday, and all the other stuff I've got going on right now.

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Hey man,

Do you think you could be running your LSS stuff a little to quickly? I ran an LSS session today after not doing it in awhile and it is painfully slow. Not a hundred percent sure, but if you checked your HR I have a feeling you might be over the ideal range and a little more into the "no-mans land" of run training that you occasionally see mentioned.

Also I seen in one of your earlier posts that you mention "speed build ups" at 10.5mph. Not sure if you are using a treadmill for this, but it has been my experience and some really fit guys I know that treadmills are not really great for run performance. Just my opinion obviously, but I find the mechanics are kind of fucked up. Also "speed build ups" seem like something that intuitively would work, but I feel like they might just be detracting from your Aerobic Base Building. Another option you could look into for improving speed while not interfering with your LSS work are strides (http://strengthrunning.com/2012/10/what-are-strides/).. Just an idea man. Looking forward to seeing your strength results.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

09/23/16
Strength (Operator)
Block 4
Week 3
Day 5

90% Training Max

Primary Lifts

SQ
3x3@405 lbs

BP
3x3@215 lbs

DL
3x3@435

Accessory Lifts

Lateral Raises 3x8-12
Trunk Rotations 3x8-12

Tricep Pressdowns 3x8-12
Preacher Curls 3x8-12

Notes
-Still not feeling as strong as I have in the past, but better than earlier this week. The fact that SQ and DL were the lifts I really struggled with this week and less so BP and PU makes me think that it's just a high stress/low energy problem. The fact that I did a hybrid workout on Monday, combining that days workout with the previous Friday's, didn't help either. DL was definitely my hardest lift today and obviously that's because I did deads Monday as well.
-I also switched from night shift to day shift this week. I'm sure that didn't help.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

KS-90 wrote:Hey man,

Do you think you could be running your LSS stuff a little to quickly? I ran an LSS session today after not doing it in awhile and it is painfully slow. Not a hundred percent sure, but if you checked your HR I have a feeling you might be over the ideal range and a little more into the "no-mans land" of run training that you occasionally see mentioned.

Also I seen in one of your earlier posts that you mention "speed build ups" at 10.5mph. Not sure if you are using a treadmill for this, but it has been my experience and some really fit guys I know that treadmills are not really great for run performance. Just my opinion obviously, but I find the mechanics are kind of fucked up. Also "speed build ups" seem like something that intuitively would work, but I feel like they might just be detracting from your Aerobic Base Building. Another option you could look into for improving speed while not interfering with your LSS work are strides (http://strengthrunning.com/2012/10/what-are-strides/).. Just an idea man. Looking forward to seeing your strength results.
I've had the issue of running my LSS too fast in the past and I don't think that's an issue. If it's around a 5k I might push it a bit, but anything over that I tend to take it easy. I will be getting a HRM soon to double check though (at your suggestion for those tempo runs).

Honestly it's going to sound dumb but my real problem with conditioning this block has been blisters. I trashed my last pair of running shoes prior to this block during a Spartan race. It took my a couple weeks to find a pair i liked but then I hit the mileage too hard and I got some pretty bad blisters. So I had to wait for those to heal. Since then I've just been trying to do some short mileage stuff to break the shoes in, and trying strategies like nylon socks and doubling up on socks to prevent blister formation. Unfortunately I just haven't gotten the mileage I was hoping for this block and it's halfway over.

That being the case would you suggest I redo a block with bb/green or go to black and do those runs you suggested? My primary goal is hitting a 6 min mile, but as a secondary goal I'd like to get back to being able to do a half marathon like I got to during base building. My original plan was to just rotate every block between green and black until I hit that goal, but you'd probably know better.

Ya man those speed build ups were on a treadmill. I honestly only got a few in until this blister problem started. I have no problem trashing them if you think they wouldn't help.

Thanks again for all the help!

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

09/24/16
Conditioning (Green)
Block 4
Week 3
Day 6

LSS
Distance: 5.01 miles
Time: 53:00
Average Pace: 10:23
Average RPE: 5

Notes
-No blisters! Looks like I've fixed my problem and I can get back to regular conditioning.
-Cardio-wise it was easy. Feet and ankles were pretty beat up but I was running on concrete.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

*deleted* editing mistake
Last edited by Green2Blue on Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

09/26/16
Strength (Operator)
Block 4
Week 4
Day 1

Primary Lifts (75% Training Max)

SQ 3x5@335 lbs
BP 5x5@180 lbs
WPU 3x5@75 lbs

Accessory Lifts

Overhead Press 3x8-12
Calf Raises 3x8-12

Farmer's Walks 3x4+
Kettlebell Swings 3x5+

Notes
-I was hoping that increasing my caloric intake the last few days, and my rest day on Sunday, would bring me out of the bad rut I had last week. It was a bit tougher than I was expecting, but certainly not on the scale of last week.
-For the first time in many months, if not over a year, my hip injury flared up on squats. It's not unusual to feel it on deads, but it's been a while on squats. Might finally be time to go see the doctor.
-Today was my first day lifting so early. Didn't seem to be a major issue but I may need to warm up more. Might correct the above problem. Generally I don't do a standard warm up, other than a few warm up sets.
-Added swings to my accessories after being inspired by this forum. Supersetted them with my hex bar farmer's walks which I also recently started doing (and love). The combination feels amazing. I haven't done swings in years but it came back instantly. Started light but I'll slowly increase the weight/reps.

Edit: hit quote instead of edit, whoops

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

09/27/16
Conditioning (Green)
Block 4
Week 4
Day 2

LSS (treadmill)
Distance: 5.00 miles
Time: 59.17
Average Pace: 11:51
Average RPE: 8

Notes
-This run was a STRUGGLE. Cardiovascularly I felt fine, but muscularly I struggled with every single stride. It was possibly because of squats the day before, but it was only a 75% day. Who knows. I feel like part of why I'm having such a hard time this block is because I've switched from nights to days in the middle of it.

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Green2Blue wrote: I've had the issue of running my LSS too fast in the past and I don't think that's an issue. If it's around a 5k I might push it a bit, but anything over that I tend to take it easy. I will be getting a HRM soon to double check though (at your suggestion for those tempo runs).

Honestly it's going to sound dumb but my real problem with conditioning this block has been blisters. I trashed my last pair of running shoes prior to this block during a Spartan race. It took my a couple weeks to find a pair i liked but then I hit the mileage too hard and I got some pretty bad blisters. So I had to wait for those to heal. Since then I've just been trying to do some short mileage stuff to break the shoes in, and trying strategies like nylon socks and doubling up on socks to prevent blister formation. Unfortunately I just haven't gotten the mileage I was hoping for this block and it's halfway over.

That being the case would you suggest I redo a block with bb/green or go to black and do those runs you suggested? My primary goal is hitting a 6 min mile, but as a secondary goal I'd like to get back to being able to do a half marathon like I got to during base building. My original plan was to just rotate every block between green and black until I hit that goal, but you'd probably know better.

Ya man those speed build ups were on a treadmill. I honestly only got a few in until this blister problem started. I have no problem trashing them if you think they wouldn't help.

Thanks again for all the help!
Ya man. If you don't think it is to fast; It has just been my experience that staying between 120-150 Bpm is real slow. I'm not sure I could judge it all to well without a HRM. Even with it on I will usually start to creep over 150 then have to slow down if I am not paying attention.

What is your mile sitting at right now?

If it was me I wouldn't be doing the speed build-ups. Especially during a Base Building Phase.