Barkadion TB Logs

Maxrip13

Re: Barkadion TB Logs

Post by Maxrip13 »

[quote="Barkadion"]They have holistic approach to the programming addressing different modalities of training. There are few different tracks: strength, body geometry, endurance, and body weight only. It covers strength and conditioning with different goals in mind. Programming is done dynamically for 12 weeks cycles with deload weeks included. Good community, a lot of info and resources, not expensive.. It is kind of intelligent crossfit. Founders are ex-military…[/quote

Sorry to hear about the back mate. Hope it sorts itself.

How did you find GGA overall? I ran 12 weeks of their training once before and it was ok, but I could not do it and BJJ. This was when body geometry was it's on 12 week cycle. I did the one just before and they changed the approach the following cycle.
I am still on their Facebook group and listening to their podcast as I type this.

I liked the ideas they had and I think it would work in a vacuum if all I did was gym training. I found I was generally pretty tired all the time, but my fitness definitely improved. I didn't do the hard weekend sessions as I didn't need to as part of my goals and I swapped to their training whilst resting some plantar fasciitis.

Have you been doing the long weekend sessions regularly and how did you find them? I liked the block methodology and I still use this occasionally in my training to keep me on track.

I definitely agree on intelligent crossfit. They are Airforce Pilots and similar from memory so they aren't real military ;)

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Hi Maxrip!

I did some of the Saturday trainings but I used “baby” version of it. Basically, I used about 50% of the load. For an example.. I would go for 50 pullups if it calls for 100.. It was doable. Saturdays are supposed to be challenging and difficult. So, i did it occasionally..

Also, I used 80% TM for the lifting and Airdyne/Rower for conditioning. I didn’t have any issues with the recovery this way. “Shred” track is awesome as it uses low weights with use of KB/DB and unilateral movements. I do like GGA and I think I will be using it in the future for sure. I didn’t like the fact that you don’t know your programming for the next week and you can’t plan ahead.. But I think GGA is the best choice comparing to any other training out here..

My plan now is to recover from my injury and start my summer BB with custom schedule. I think i will be doing 9 days week with 3 days of KB drills and 3 days of running..

Cheers!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

[quote="Barkadion"]Hi Maxrip!

I did some of the Saturday trainings but I used “baby” version of it. Basically, I used about 50% of the load. For an example.. I would go for 50 pullups if it calls for 100.. It was doable. Saturdays are supposed to be challenging and difficult. So, i did it occasionally..

Also, I used 80% TM for the lifting and Airdyne/Rower for conditioning. I didn’t have any issues with the recovery this way. “Shred” track is awesome as it uses low weights with use of KB/DB and unilateral movements. I do like GGA and I think I will be using it in the future for sure. I didn’t like the fact that you don’t know your programming for the next week and you can’t plan ahead.. But I think GGA is the best choice comparing to any other training out here..

My plan now is to recover from my injury and start my summer BB with custom schedule. I think i will be doing 9 days week with 3 days of KB drills and 3 days of running..

Cheers![/quote

I liked some of the concepts, but the tendency to push numbers and train too hard was definitely there. Your Saturday session approach was a really good idea. I like to separate training from challenges, but that comes from BJJ being more of a focus. I avoid high volume junk reps on the regular, though some of the extended steady state sessions were interesting as a gut check occasionally.

I really liked some of the sessions. A really intelligent one I saw involved combining rowing and planks. Basically row 500m and plank for whatever your row time is for however many rounds. For some reason that really stuck with me. When I was doing it zone 2 was only included in the endurance. I doubt I saw a run over 15 mins during my whole 12 weeks. Now all they talk about is zone 2 on the podcast.

I definitely agree on the whole 1 week of training thing. At least 4 weeks would be better for planning.

Another good one is Effective Fitness, which is mostly LEO focused. It's very similar but with shorter Saturday sessions that incorporate skill work. They also have physios on call through the app. They will do some sort of longer conditioning session but include things like memorizing number plates, assembling weapons and putting on tourniquets between rounds. They again fail to include enough LSS for my liking.

I still always find myself coming back to TB though no matter what I try. It's just basically my base building continual work year round.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Hey Bark, sorry to hear about the back. Get better!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Thank you VC!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

6/10/21
Block#45, Bark Summer BB

Week#1, Thursday

SE, 3x10
KB Complex
Clean
Front Squat
Press

Ring Pull-ups
Pike Rolls
Last edited by Barkadion on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Trying minimalistic BB this time around. Single KB complex, Ring Pull-ups and Pike rolls for SE. 30min-ish Run/Row/Airbike/Slow Burpees for LSS. For the progression I will increase number of reps for the KB complex, PullUps (according to KB article), and Pikes.

It feels like "coming back from injury" type of programming. My back is almost back to normal but I feel weak. I didn't move much recovering. Will see!

Cheers!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

6/11/21
Block#45, Bark Summer BB

Week#1, Friday

E
Airbike, 30min
Average HR - 139 bpm
Last edited by Barkadion on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

6/13/21
Block#45, Bark Summer BB

Week#1, Sunday

SE, 3x12
KB Complex
Clean
Front Squat
Press