antlas

Re: antlas log

Post by antlas »

Sunday - 5 miles in 50 minutes.

Monday - day 2 of 85%.
SQ 125 x 5 x 5
BP 80 x 5 x 5
WPU 3 sets of 5, +10 lbs.

Random consequence of being petite - I use a dip belt to add weight, but it's way too big so I have to wrap it around my waist twice. The chain wrap usually shifts off the padding so it's resting right on my belly, and the weight pulls it tight. No fun. I'm thinking of getting a weight vest to use instead.

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

I usually run the chain through the opposite sides metal ring (the one you would normally clip to after passing the chain through the weight) then run it down to pass through the weight and clip it back to the same side the chain comes off. Then I take the clip thats running through both loops and clip both of the loops into it so it can't come off or move around during my set. Hopefully I explained it well enough. I had the weights fall off a few times before a buddy showed me this, and it makes the chain run straight down between your legs instead of against your hip bones.

antlas

Post by antlas »

I messed around with some different ways to fasten the dip belt today. Nothing really worked out - the padding is much, much longer than my waist, not even including the chain. All well.

Tuesday - 5 sets of high intensity rowing. Pace was 2:15-2:20/500m. 3 minutes rest between sets.
Wednesday - planned rest
Thursday - last day of 85%. Not gonna lie, squats felt hard. Little nervous about 95% next week
SQ 125 x 5 x 5
BP 80 x 5 x 5
WPU + 10lbs, 3 sets of 5.

antlas

Post by antlas »

TIL that drinking a double IPA before a HIC workout does not feel great.

Three rounds of 2 minutes on the rower, with three minutes rest. Sets were 2:12, 2:09, and 2:14 per 500m. Cut the number of rounds down from my usual five in preparation for my first day of 95% tomorrow.

antlas

Post by antlas »

We were iced in yesterday, so I took an unplanned rest.

Today was the first day of 95%. Results were...mixed.

SQ - 1RM of 160 - using a training max of 145
135lbs, reps of 3, 4, 5, 4, 3

BP - 1 RM of 95, using 95 for programming
90lbs, 5 sets of 2 reps

DL - admitting to myself I've been mentally weak on DL. Going to get serious next block.
155 lbs 6-8 sets of 3. Didn't keep close track, because I was messing around with form. Thinking of switching to sumo.

I'm certain I can do 5x5 for squats next time. I was trying to cut myself a break today, because I was pretty nervous about 95%. Bench press on the other hand, was hopeless. I couldn't have squeezed out an extra rep for anything. Might switch to a training max for bench next block.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

antlas wrote:We were iced in yesterday, so I took an unplanned rest.

Today was the first day of 95%. Results were...mixed.

SQ - 1RM of 160 - using a training max of 145
135lbs, reps of 3, 4, 5, 4, 3

BP - 1 RM of 95, using 95 for programming
90lbs, 5 sets of 2 reps

DL - admitting to myself I've been mentally weak on DL. Going to get serious next block.
155 lbs 6-8 sets of 3. Didn't keep close track, because I was messing around with form. Thinking of switching to sumo.

I'm certain I can do 5x5 for squats next time. I was trying to cut myself a break today, because I was pretty nervous about 95%. Bench press on the other hand, was hopeless. I couldn't have squeezed out an extra rep for anything. Might switch to a training max for bench next block.
What do you think about Block pulls? It has really changed my DL life. I am using piece of wood and folded mat on top of that. I am starting with certain height and unfolding the mat (decreasing the "block" height) as I am moving through the program on weekly basis. It really helped me to reinvent the DL for myself personally, to re-learn how to enjoy it and to re-teach my body.

Didn't mean to give yo "advice". Just sharing my own practice.. Good luck! There is "Dead" part in DL for a reason :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

antlas

Post by antlas »

Advice welcome, thanks for the tip! I'm going to give those a shot. Are you using a specific program, or just decreasing block height each week? What % weight do you use?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

antlas wrote:Advice welcome, thanks for the tip! I'm going to give those a shot. Are you using a specific program, or just decreasing block height each week? What % weight do you use?
I am doing OP standard. I found the height that feels comfortable enough for me, below the knees. Good enough to get my spine in a proper position and feel good tension in the hams. Then I go:

Week one - initial height
Week two - decreased height #1
Week three - decreased helght #2

Week 4-6: depends on how it's feeling. I might go with more unfolding or keep height #2 for the rest of the block. There is no rush. But I can feel how mobility is progressing.

Something like that.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

antlas

Post by antlas »

Monday - 3 sets of 2 minutes on the concept 2. Times have improved: 2:13, 2:11, 2:08.

Tuesday - my regular gym is closed for renovations, so I went to my work gym with some colleagues. Between helping/hanging out with them, and being in an unfamiliar environment, I was a bit off my game. But I still managed:

SQ 135 x 5 x 4
BP 90 x 5 x 2ish
Pullups 3 sets of +20lbs, various grips

antlas

Post by antlas »

The gods of lifting taught me a very gentle lesson today that I won't soon forget. I was benching 90% of 1RM, and failed. Alone. Because the bench I was on had a very low rack option, I panicked and thought I could rack it there. Well, I only got one side hooked. The other side scraped my ear, and drew a single drop of blood. The next bit is fuzzy, but somehow I kept one side off my face, unracked the other side, and did a roll of shame. I finished my workout (except benching, which I quit on the spot), but the entire drive home I thought about how lucky I was that I didn't hurt my teeth or windpipe or anything else.

Two lessons - 1) When failing bench, don't be an idiot. Just put it on your chest and roll it down to your hips. (This is completely reasonable and safe at the weights I bench.) 2) Use a training max, not a one rep max. My 1RM max is only 95 lbs, so the margin of success and failure is only a few lbs. A training max will be much safer for me.

SQ - 135 x 5 x 5
BP - ugh
WPU - 3 sets of 4 with +20 lbs.