ZMA & Lethargy/Depression

MuftiMike

ZMA & Lethargy/Depression

Post by MuftiMike »

Does ZMA make anyone else lethargic & depressed/ruminate? I always feel great the first day, but day 2 and onward it seems to space me out and make me depressed. Certainly not my natural demeanor. Needless to say I'm not taking it anymore...but now I'm curious. Cursory searches on the net point to the cause possibly being the type of magnesium (aspartate) or the high dose of b6.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Rick Deckard

Re: ZMA & Lethargy/Depression

Post by Rick Deckard »

Mufti, you might be on to something. Dr. Carolyn Dean suggests that the aspartate form of magnesium should be avoided as it can make depression worse.

Here's the link:

http://drcarolyndean.com/2011/01/glutam ... -chelates/

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

MuftiMike wrote:Does ZMA make anyone else lethargic & depressed/ruminate? I always feel great the first day, but day 2 and onward it seems to space me out and make me depressed. Certainly not my natural demeanor. Needless to say I'm not taking it anymore...but now I'm curious. Cursory searches on the net point to the cause possibly being the type of magnesium (aspartate) or the high dose of b6.

I got away from zma and just take zinc and magnesium separately. Mainly because you need a lot less zinc than mag and it's hard to find zma with mag in good form. Look for the glycinate form of mag as I've read about the cheap form of mag being garbage

MuftiMike

Post by MuftiMike »

Tyr0331 wrote:
MuftiMike wrote:Does ZMA make anyone else lethargic & depressed/ruminate? I always feel great the first day, but day 2 and onward it seems to space me out and make me depressed. Certainly not my natural demeanor. Needless to say I'm not taking it anymore...but now I'm curious. Cursory searches on the net point to the cause possibly being the type of magnesium (aspartate) or the high dose of b6.

I got away from zma and just take zinc and magnesium separately. Mainly because you need a lot less zinc than mag and it's hard to find zma with mag in good form. Look for the glycinate form of mag as I've read about the cheap form of mag being garbage
Thanks, I'll look into the glycinate. What form of zinc do you take, and how much? How about the glycinate?