Functional Diet for the Tactical Athlete

Maxrip13

Re: Functional Diet for the Tactical Athlete

Post by Maxrip13 »

I want to look at intermittent fasting for convenience. I have read the warrior diet years ago and it makes sense, but I was wondering what peoples experience was on it while training TB barbell style with heavy conditioning and also some bjj or similar at the same time. I am also a tactical athlete and need to be able to perform at work.

The main reason I want to do it is for convenience and to set up my feeding windows after work. Right now I just eat rolls with high protein deli meat between jobs, but quite regularly I just never eat until I get home. I also need to be able to train twice a day occasionally and I am a bit worried I won't be able to maintain this.

So any experience/success with fasting for someone who just wants performance and couldn't give a shit what they look like haha?
Last edited by Maxrip13 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I prioritize like G2B, but in a slightly different fashion.

1) Protein source.
2) Fruit and vegetables (typically fruit for breakfast and maybe a snack, veggies for lunch and dinner)
3) Non-grain carb/fat sources (potatoes, rice, nuts, almond milk, dark chocolate for a snack)

I typically avoid grains mostly in my day to day, simply because I have a family history of celiac disease. I don't have it myself, but if I eat too much in a given day I pay for it on the porcelain throne a lot once it gets digested. I'm noticing similar issues with a lot of dairy, which sucks a bit because I used to drink milk like water which was a main protein source for me for a long time, but since cutting out a lot of it I've been feeling a lot better as well. One cheat meal a week, which before used to be pizza but I'm gravitating more towards wings now.

For a long time I was tracking constantly, but I've since trimmed it down to just three meals a day and maybe a light snack if I really need something. Since then I've trimmed down a bit and feel better that it's not running my life as much as it used to. YMMV obviously.

Typical day -

Breakfast - Eggs, meat, fruit, and coffee.
Mid-morning snack (if I need it) - Piece of fruit, low-carb protein bar.
Lunch - Meat, veggies, maybe some carbs (I typically just throw meat and veggies in a Tupperware and dump hot sauce all over it).
Mid-afternoon snack (if I need it) - Handful of trail mix or a small bit of dark chocolate.
Dinner - Meat, potatoes/rice, veggies (occasionally a hard cider as a dessert).

Occasionally if needed I'll fit in a protein shake, typically just one scoop mixed in with almond milk, maybe some peanut butter.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

I tried low carb (really low) couldn't get away with it, felt like crap. What I do:

Eat 3-5 x day

1. Choose protein source - chicken, fish, beef
2. Add an equal amount of healthy carb - brown rice, potatoes, quinoa, whole wheat pasta
3. Add in a sprinkling of vegetables - broccoli, carrots, beets, cauliflower
4. Snack on a small amount of fats and fruit - almonds, cheese, berries,
5. Add in a protein shake or two to make up the difference on days I don't get enough

Avoid - alcohol, candy, chocolate, junk (except for cheat meals)

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Mine's significantly simpler than most of you guys'.

1. Greens - a mix of leafy and stalky
2. Coloured vegetables
3. No limit to protein, but with an aim for 2 g / lb
4. Unprocessed carbs
5. Dairy (including whey and caesin supplements)
6. Nuts
7. Something to keep me happy (sweets / chocolate / cake whatever)

I'm aware that 2g/lb of lean body mass is a lot, but I don't always reliably get high quality protein. By having a higher mental target forces me to eat more protein when available, so that if I don't have a good dinner later in the day, I'd probably still would have sufficient protein.

I used to be neurotic about nutrition numbers, and it almost drove my family and present-missus insane. Then one day it struck me that I'm not dependent on my physique to earn my living - so it made no sense to be neurotic about it. I have other priorities I can direct my energy towards.

In a corporate client facing role, I sometimes can't control what and where I eat, so I roll with it and try not to let my life impact my health, or my fitness demands impact my life. I'm not exact <10% BF, but as the saying goes "he who has no dog, hunts with a cat".

Sure, I'd like to be jacked, but health & performance are key to me, so in that trinity, I'd let go on being shredded and focus on that other two instead.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:Mine's significantly simpler than most of you guys'.

1. Greens - a mix of leafy and stalky
2. Coloured vegetables
3. No limit to protein, but with an aim for 2 g / lb
4. Unprocessed carbs
5. Dairy (including whey and caesin supplements)
6. Nuts
7. Something to keep me happy (sweets / chocolate / cake whatever)

I'm aware that 2g/lb of lean body mass is a lot, but I don't always reliably get high quality protein. By having a higher mental target forces me to eat more protein when available, so that if I don't have a good dinner later in the day, I'd probably still would have sufficient protein.

I used to be neurotic about nutrition numbers, and it almost drove my family and present-missus insane. Then one day it struck me that I'm not dependent on my physique to earn my living - so it made no sense to be neurotic about it. I have other priorities I can direct my energy towards.

In a corporate client facing role, I sometimes can't control what and where I eat, so I roll with it and try not to let my life impact my health, or my fitness demands impact my life. I'm not exact <10% BF, but as the saying goes "he who has no dog, hunts with a cat".

Sure, I'd like to be jacked, but health & performance are key to me, so in that trinity, I'd let go on being shredded and focus on that other two instead.
How often do you eat sweets, junk food, etc? Do you have a designated cheat day or is it different throughout the week? While many thrive on having a cheat day, my problem is that I have a hard time going back to eating healthy the day after.
Get after it!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Try sticking to just one cheat meal rather than a whole chest day. I found it becomes a lot easier to go back this way personally.

Blackmetalbunny

nickgoldma wrote:How often do you eat sweets, junk food, etc? Do you have a designated cheat day or is it different throughout the week? While many thrive on having a cheat day, my problem is that I have a hard time going back to eating healthy the day after.
My weekly schedule is that Sunday is always family day - and it typically means dim sum - so that's kinda my cheat day. That said, I don't enjoy Chinese food (oh the irony, an Asian that dislikes Chinese food) , so I tend to limit my intake - just enough to feel 1/2 full. Furthermore; after weaning off sugar, a slice of cake or ice-cream makes me feel sick. So it lasts me a long time before I develop the craving again. I guess these 2 factors really limits how much damage a cheat day really hits me.

For sweets and junk food, I find everyone to be very different - some people can go whole periods without a cheat and then they need to blow a load of calories, some people need regular cheats. I can go long periods without a cheat, but if I do get something cheaty, I need a while to wean off it. So, as an example I tend to buy a 200g bar of chocolate, and I'll eat puny portions over 3 days. I just need a small amount to ward off the cravings.

Another thing I did was mentally force myself to see sweet as sweet (irrespective of their food source), so for me I can use fruits as a substitute for junk food. I "force" myself to be happy with a sweet apple or orange, and shove down the desire for sweet junk

My only real weakness is burgers and pizza, I find it hard to wean off pizza. In the case of burgers, I tend to order the meatiest piece of burger I can get, so at least the protein is there - think of a 4 patty burger. After something like that, I'd feel full for the next meal, and can easily get by with a light salad with about 100g of meat and no dressing.

In your case, I think you need to figure out what and why you're having a difficult time getting back on the band wagon, and how you can trick your body. Let's say you have pizza on Sunday afternoon, would going back to a healthy meal for dinner help? What about intermittent fasting to break the craving cycle? Can you do what I do, sate your cravings a small amount every day? How about weaning it off slowly - 1 slice of pizza the next day, 1/2 a slice the day after?

For example, a Cadbury 200g Fruit & Nut chocolate bar has 150kcal and 27g of carbs. Eating one everyday will hurt bad, but having half or a 1/3 each day as a wean off isn't going to have as significant impact. I guess if you also develop the mindset that having a loose allowance means you must savour every single bite, it helps in training your mind to enjoy every last morsel, and setting a mental limit.

Does that help you?

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
I'm aware that 2g/lb of lean body mass is a lot, but I don't always reliably get high quality protein. By having a higher mental target forces me to eat more protein when available
I like this mindset. Spot on.

utrinque

Post by utrinque »

I eat 2 meals maybe 3 max per day.
I only care about tracking protein and ensuring i get a good amount of veg in my day.

I eat 1 meal 2 hours before workout (run/tab/lift)
then a massive post-workout meal with probs 80% of daily cals

Blackmetalbunny

Maxrip13 wrote:I want to look at intermittent fasting for convenience. I have read the warrior diet years ago and it makes sense, but I was wondering what peoples experience was on it while training TB barbell style with heavy conditioning and also some bjj or similar at the same time.
Ultimately it depends on what you are seeking to achieve with intermittent fasting. From what I've seen, intermittent fasting seems to be primarily practiced by people with a physique objective in mind.

The supposed magic is that intermittent fasting can help you lose weight easily. I've personally experienced that - it's so easy to maintain a hypocaloric diet with IF, however; the flip side is that unless your protein numbers are dialed in well, you can expect lean mass loss too. Then again; once your protein numbers are dialed in, expect it to be harder to add mass unless you're eating protein 6 or 7 times in that 8 hour window. However; if your objectives are to control your total daily caloric intake, what's the point then?

Ultimately; IF is a lifestyle. It's not easy to transition between a IF and regular eating hours, because your body is receiving a shock each time you transition off or on it. On my days transitioning to regular eating hours, I feel so bloated after a light breakfast because I'm not accustomed to. On the flip side, transitioning to IF is a bit of a fight for the first week until you're well into the groove. Nonetheless; I find IF good for weight reduction, but less useful if you want to add mass.

I've found a bit of an in-between, doing 16-18 hour fasts about 3-4 times a week but allowing myself to eat breakfast if I want at least 2 times a week. It's not true intermittent fasting as such, and I'm certain it doesn't confer the significant health benefits, but sometimes; it's just not always so easy, especially when your dinner last night wasn't as filling (in my case; this means hitting my protein numbers for the day, and protein numbers for that meal).