Reading List

The Lounge
Tym87

Re: Reading List

Post by Tym87 »

Left of Bang is a pretty decent read. Definitely one worth a study. The writer also did a Marine Net course and his videos were pretty good and passionate. I wonder if it's on YouTube.
Last edited by Tym87 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Svenjolly

Post by Svenjolly »

Overcoming Gravity. Lots of good info, but holy crap is it dense! Not the most user friendly book.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Tym87 wrote:
TangoZero wrote:
Tym87 wrote:
I had no fricken' idea there was a sequel to the Poet! Definitely up next on the reading list...thanks for the heads-up.
TangoZero, it's pretty good. Same basic structure as the poet but with a very interesting new direction. Let me know what you think.
Finished this in 4 sits, loved it! Awesome recommendation, Connelly never disappoints.

SPOILER:Partway through I kept thinking the Poet was going to make an appearance, or that he was actually the main baddie transformed with a little plastic surgery.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Tym87 wrote: TangoZero, it's pretty good. Same basic structure as the poet but with a very interesting new direction. Let me know what you think.
Tym87, you might like Simon Kernick a British crime writer. I'd start with the "Business of Dying", about a cop that moonlights as a hitman. He's like Connelly in that he really gets the culture, personalities and politics.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

If it's like Connelly, I'll 100% check it out. I liked the poet a lot too, but something about the "Iron Maiden" fetish really gave me the creeps. I hope he revisits the characters again in the future, it's been awhile since we've had another McEvoy book.

Stechkin

Post by Stechkin »

Currently- John M Browning: American Gunmaker

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Stechkin wrote:Currently- John M Browning: American Gunmaker
How is it?

Stechkin

Post by Stechkin »

Tym87 wrote:
Stechkin wrote:Currently- John M Browning: American Gunmaker
How is it?
I'm not too far into it yet but liking it so far. Clean, straightforward biography that isn't cluttered with useless information. It's already been very interesting and I'm not even past what I usually consider the boring bits of biographies (family background and early childhood).

crnewhouse

Post by crnewhouse »

Tym87 wrote:
crnewhouse wrote:Non Fiction: The Millionaire Next Door - it's all about learning to live below your means in order to maximize your savings. Aside from being a fitness nerd, I am also a personal finance nerd :D

Fiction: The Man in the High Castle - Science Fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. In the book, the Nazis won World War 2 and the United States is essentially absorbed into the Nazi Empire.

Next Up:
[*True Style - Also a style nerd.]
[*Dave Ramsey Complete Guide to Money]
[*Probably the Game of Thrones saga - I love the show way too much to not read the books.]

Have you watched the Man in the High Castle show? Is it good? Game of Thrones audiobook is really great, helps expand the characters you know from the show.
Have not watched the show, but I hear good things! I don't know about the audiobooks, I try listening to them when I am doing something else and I end up focusing more on the something else haha. Regardless, I am excited to start the books because I can put faces to the names.
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

TangoZero wrote:
Finished this in 4 sits, loved it! Awesome recommendation, Connelly never disappoints.

SPOILER:Partway through I kept thinking the Poet was going to make an appearance, or that he was actually the main baddie transformed with a little plastic surgery.
Did you read the Bosch book The Narrows? Totally slipped my mind, it continues the Poet story line and brings the Poet back.