Reading List

The Lounge
Tym87

Re: Reading List

Post by Tym87 »

Listened to Fight Club on a long road trip today. First time rereading (audiobook) in like 15 years. Not as good as I remembered, but I'm no longer a teenager either.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Tym87 wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:
Tym87 wrote:nickgoldma, I would start with The Black Echo and then systematicaly go in order of the author's books. There will be some non Bosch books along the way, but if you read them in publication order the whole universe overlaps. Reading Bloodwork and the Lincoln Lawyer in order of their publication dates will allow you to recall characters from previous Bosch novels and so forth. It's a long journey this way, but highly rewarding.

Just ordered "the Black Echo" finally today, as well as the hard copy of TB1!
Nice! You'll love it. I will say I read Connelly in an interview and he said if you can't deal with the time change to start with Echo Park but I think you'll enjoy anyway.
Been picking through "The Black Echo" and I love it so far. Good read. Kinda slow to start but slowly picking up.
Get after it!

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

nickgoldma wrote:
Been picking through "The Black Echo" and I love it so far. Good read. Kinda slow to start but slowly picking up.

It's a little slow but once it picks up...

Karak

Post by Karak »

If there are any sci-fi/fantasy buffs here I highly recommend David Gemmell. Knights of Dark Renown, Druss the Legend, Waylander, and the Lion of Macedon series are all good starting points.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Will be jumping into Nassim Nicholas Taleb books after having deep discussion with couple of my friends. Just ordered "The Black Swan" and "The bed of Procrustes".

You might want to look into it if you are interested in philosophical aphorisms, uncertainty, probability theory and understanding of stupidity as a pattern in our life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehXxoUH1AlM
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

The new Bosch novel is out if you all are interested...I'm a sucker for Michael Connelly.

Tirofijo

Post by Tirofijo »

Barkadion wrote:Will be jumping into Nassim Nicholas Taleb books after having deep discussion with couple of my friends. Just ordered "The Black Swan" and "The bed of Procrustes".

You might want to look into it if you are interested in philosophical aphorisms, uncertainty, probability theory and understanding of stupidity as a pattern in our life.

I'm reading Taleb's Antifragile now. Dense, and much longer than needed, but certainly thought provoking. Taleb is so well-read and erudite, so it's full of little mini-history and philosophy lessons.

So far I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to make myself and career more antifragile.

------------------------

"Antifragile" is 'things that gain from disorder" or the property of increasing capability due to stressors or volitility or shock.

(Not to be confused with robustness or resilience, which would be just maintaining capability or performance during those same periods.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tirofijo wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Will be jumping into Nassim Nicholas Taleb books after having deep discussion with couple of my friends. Just ordered "The Black Swan" and "The bed of Procrustes".

I'm reading Taleb's Antifragile now. Dense, and much longer than needed, but certainly thought provoking. Taleb is so well-read and erudite, so it's full of little mini-history and philosophy lessons.

So far I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to make myself and career more antifragile.

------------------------

"Antifragile" is 'things that gain from disorder" or the property of increasing capability due to stressors or volitility or shock.

(Not to be confused with robustness or resilience, which would be just maintaining capability or performance during those same periods.
So glad to hear that!!

It's on my list for the next read.

Taleb is awesome. I'm amazed by the philosophical and literate references that he makes in his books. He is very classic and desperately clear in his thoughts. I'm having great intimate relationship with his writings so far.

I think you might take his advise and start by making very slow walks. It makes one a philosopher according to him :D

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

So I've been laid out due to some surgery and I've found a really good book that fits the TB model by about 90℅. Training for the New Alpinism. It's a book for Alpine climbers and other mountain athletes that breaks down how to train. Build a large aerobic base, build max strength to convert to strength endurance. Etc.

There are a couple good workouts in there so far, but if you like TB and want to expand upon the scientific side of what Base building is in a pysiological sense this book nails it. There is also several stories from climbers and how different types of training helped them or hurt them. It's a great read and I'm only half done.

One killer core/upper body SE workout I might try is a treadmill hand walk. Get in a push up position in front of a treadmill set to low. Proceed to walk your hands while maintaining a plank.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tym87 wrote:So I've been laid out due to some surgery and I've found a really good book that fits the TB model by about 90℅. Training for the New Alpinism. It's a book for Alpine climbers and other mountain athletes that breaks down how to train. Build a large aerobic base, build max strength to convert to strength endurance. Etc.

There are a couple good workouts in there so far, but if you like TB and want to expand upon the scientific side of what Base building is in a pysiological sense this book nails it. There is also several stories from climbers and how different types of training helped them or hurt them. It's a great read and I'm only half done.

One killer core/upper body SE workout I might try is a treadmill hand walk. Get in a push up position in front of a treadmill set to low. Proceed to walk your hands while maintaining a plank.
You might dig seal walks. Get on to plank, place your toes on sliders or just paper plates and walk with your hands...