Member Introductions Thread

The Lounge
recursiveBeginner

Re: Member Introductions Thread

Post by recursiveBeginner »

Hi all,

Migrating from Reddit, where I've been really impressed with the community and quality of support and information sharing. You are an inspiring bunch.

Me: I'm a 33 y.o. living in the UK. I'm not in the forces, though I was looking to join the Royal Marines Reserves a while back, which is where my fitness journey started in earnest, and also where I started learning the hard way about my ego, overtraining and injuries. I've developed a real interest in sports science, largely as a result of constant attempts to fix myself.

Training: I've been doing martial arts for a long time. Outside that I've tried a few different things (humble results throughout!) - running, some Oly lifting, Starting Strength, Simple & Sinister... loved it all. Where I've consistently fallen apart is in combining things in a sustainable way. I'll be doing really well at something, gently add something else to the mix, and it will all collapse. Always starting from scratch, hence the username.
TB was a revelation for me because it's the first place I saw all the things I've learned about and been trying to do put together in a simple and cohesive manner.

Goals: I want to find out how strong and fit I can get, and I want to stay that way as long as I can. There is a practical side too - I'm hopefully expecting a kid, I've got a full time job and I'm renovating a house in my spare time, so I need to be 'useful fit', not 'gym fit' :) .

TB: I started base in October and have been on Op/Black since. Absolutely loving it.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

recursiveBeginner wrote:Hi all,

Migrating from Reddit, where I've been really impressed with the community and quality of support and information sharing. You are an inspiring bunch.

Me: I'm a 33 y.o. living in the UK. I'm not in the forces, though I was looking to join the Royal Marines Reserves a while back, which is where my fitness journey started in earnest, and also where I started learning the hard way about my ego, overtraining and injuries. I've developed a real interest in sports science, largely as a result of constant attempts to fix myself.

Training: I've been doing martial arts for a long time. Outside that I've tried a few different things (humble results throughout!) - running, some Oly lifting, Starting Strength, Simple & Sinister... loved it all. Where I've consistently fallen apart is in combining things in a sustainable way. I'll be doing really well at something, gently add something else to the mix, and it will all collapse. Always starting from scratch, hence the username.
TB was a revelation for me because it's the first place I saw all the things I've learned about and been trying to do put together in a simple and cohesive manner.

Goals: I want to find out how strong and fit I can get, and I want to stay that way as long as I can. There is a practical side too - I'm hopefully expecting a kid, I've got a full time job and I'm renovating a house in my spare time, so I need to be 'useful fit', not 'gym fit' :) .

TB: I started base in October and have been on Op/Black since. Absolutely loving it.
Hi mate! Good luck with your TB journey!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

rfeder127

Post by rfeder127 »

Hello
My name is Ryan and I am 37 years old. Im in my 15th year as a Police Officer currently on day shift. I've done nights, Swat (entry and sniper), and some other stuff. Im married with a 3 yo daughter. I've dabbled in the gym, crossfit, and a couple other programs, but nothing sticks. I am at the worst physical shape of my life. I ordered the 2 Tactical BB books, Ageless Athlete, and Preparation for LE. While I am not preparing for LE I have decided this is where I am going to start. My agency uses the POWER test and I don't think I can even pass that at this point.

Outside of work and family I am either at the range or helping my friend who has a small precision rifle business.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

rfeder127 wrote:Hello
My name is Ryan and I am 37 years old. Im in my 15th year as a Police Officer currently on day shift. I've done nights, Swat (entry and sniper), and some other stuff. Im married with a 3 yo daughter. I've dabbled in the gym, crossfit, and a couple other programs, but nothing sticks. I am at the worst physical shape of my life. I ordered the 2 Tactical BB books, Ageless Athlete, and Preparation for LE. While I am not preparing for LE I have decided this is where I am going to start. My agency uses the POWER test and I don't think I can even pass that at this point.

Outside of work and family I am either at the range or helping my friend who has a small precision rifle business.
Welcome, good to have you on board. As a fellow TU/SWAT mbr I'd strongly recommend starting with TB1 & 2 first. Those are the foundation pieces of the program. The other two books are excellent; but they're accessories/adjustments to the main program. PPLE is a cookie cutter program for entry level LE PFT & academy fitness. You'll be far better off going with the Base Building block in TB2 to get you started back on the road to where you used to be.

rfeder127

Post by rfeder127 »

Thanks
I got the book and will start reading TB 1&2 and got there.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

rfeder127 wrote:Hello

Thanks for your support for TB Ryan! Dive into the books, and sends us any questions that come up. There's reason you can't be in the best shape of your life by this time next year. Let us know how we can help.

Forest Ninja

Post by Forest Ninja »

Hello all!

Already started a training log, but thought I'd post a formal intro nonetheless! Proud to finally get active on this site. I'm a 32 year old male. Approximately 170 lbs, 13-14% bf.

My background: Aside from elementary school sports, middle school basketball, and one year of high school cross country, I have been very sedentary until 2012 when committed to getting fit.

Began with home workout videos: Ten Minute Trainer, P90X, Insanity, etc, and moved into five months of Military/Mountain Athlete before working as a wildland firefighter in 2015. I continue to make myself available for initial attacks, and seek to maintain a baseline of fitness for this endeavour while upping my max strength and work capacity.

Goals/pursuits for this summer/early fall: get down to 10-11% bf (for better weight-strength ratio), climb Mt. Adams (south spur-sometime in August), various overnight backpacking trips, atleast one endurance event (Goruck, Spartan Sprint, and/or Tough Mudder), and beat my old time on the Work Capacity Test while keeping. A relatively natural walking/gait (vs. a shuffle). Currently in the 37 minute area.

I am currently running my first base building block after a year and a half of powerbuilding and heavy lifting. Plan to use green with operator or fighter until October or November, and switch to op black.

Once again, I'm so happy to be here, and finally a member of the TBD community. I hope that through my log, I can somehow contribute.

Lee
Forest Ninja

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Forest Ninja wrote:Hello all!

Already started a training log, but thought I'd post a formal intro nonetheless! Proud to finally get active on this site. I'm a 32 year old male. Approximately 170 lbs, 13-14% bf.

My background: Aside from elementary school sports, middle school basketball, and one year of high school cross country, I have been very sedentary until 2012 when committed to getting fit.

Began with home workout videos: Ten Minute Trainer, P90X, Insanity, etc, and moved into five months of Military/Mountain Athlete before working as a wildland firefighter in 2015. I continue to make myself available for initial attacks, and seek to maintain a baseline of fitness for this endeavour while upping my max strength and work capacity.

Goals/pursuits for this summer/early fall: get down to 10-11% bf (for better weight-strength ratio), climb Mt. Adams (south spur-sometime in August), various overnight backpacking trips, atleast one endurance event (Goruck, Spartan Sprint, and/or Tough Mudder), and beat my old time on the Work Capacity Test while keeping. A relatively natural walking/gait (vs. a shuffle). Currently in the 37 minute area.

I am currently running my first base building block after a year and a half of powerbuilding and heavy lifting. Plan to use green with operator or fighter until October or November, and switch to op black.

Once again, I'm so happy to be here, and finally a member of the TBD community. I hope that through my log, I can somehow contribute.

Lee
Forest Ninja
Welcome aboard Forest Ninja!

Forest Ninja

Post by Forest Ninja »

Thanks, J-Madd! BTW, just purchased Ageless Athlete in paperback lastnight. Can't wait till it arrives!

spemma

Post by spemma »

Didn't realize this existed, but figured I should intro myself since I like posting threads.

33 y.o. male, white collar job, BJJ brown belt, lifted my whole life including oly, power, bodybuidling. always disliked running so i never did it, except when i was training for PFT's.

was in 2 FLEO process about 5-7 years ago and made it all the way through the hiring process, but ultimately withdrew due to various life circumstances.

i'm back in the FLEO processes and found TB while searching for a good PFT prep program. i did Stew Smith before, but never liked the structure. i heard about Joel Jamison's stuff through my BJJ interests prior to finding TB, so when i found TB, it made a lot of sense.

i've always had trouble structuring lifting + conditioning + BJJ, so i'm happy to have found a program that addresses it all. BJJ is sadly on the backburner for now as i trudge through BB trying to redeem myself from a failed PFT ~ 6 weeks ago.