Running distances

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Dave1

Running distances

Post by Dave1 »

Hi all

Where I live, there are no tracks or fields nearby so am looking for ideas on how to run specific distances such as 200m, 600m etc commonly used in the HICs.

Some I could do on the rower instead as it has the distance on the display, but for getting faster at running, probably best to do running.

Any suggestions?

Maybe just pace it out on the sidewalk in front of my house and put markers out?

Adski

Re: Running distances

Post by Adski »

If you know how to pace it out then I would suggest doing that and placing a cone down at your turnaround point, (200m mark for a 400m run for example).

If you can get a trundle wheel use that or borrow one and use it to count how many paces you need for 100m.

Pacing can also be a start to a warm up as well.

You can also use spray paint on the gutter around the road (or footpath) you are using, baring in mind that neighbours/council may want approval (I’ve never had an issue with that personally, but I suppose it could pay to ask).

Timed interval runs can also work as in power intervals for example from TB conditioning.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Adski on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I am on the same boat.

I have used the Google map to sketch the distances such as 200m, 400m, and 800m on my local next to my place road. Then I walked it back and for the several times making mental notes on some natural"markers" such as "this little turn", "that tree", "this speed sign". Works like a charm for me. The distances are not precise, but it does the job. Same rule for 5K run.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

ectional

Post by ectional »

Barkadion wrote:I am on the same boat.

I have used the Google map to sketch the distances such as 200m, 400m, and 800m on my local next to my place road. Then I walked it back and for the several times making mental notes on some natural"markers" such as "this little turn", "that tree", "this speed sign". Works like a charm for me. The distances are not precise, but it does the job. Same rule for 5K run.
I've done the same. And it gets the job done.
Most importantly it doesn't let you use the "but I don't have a track nearby so I can't" excuse.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

A little bit more expensive,

But I use a GPS watch that can vibrate when I reach a certain distance.

That way I can do workout anywhere.

I'm sure it's not 100% perfect but it does the job.

If you don't want to invest in a watch there's a lot of free phone Apps that can do that. You just need to find a place to wear your phone to see the distance. Look for app like: endomondo, map my run, strava, runtastic that would do that and more.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Barkadion wrote:I am on the same boat.

I've done the same in the past. This is good advice.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Rangefinder. I’m doing the same thing soon near my place so I don’t have to make the trip to the track.

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

Google maps measure distance tool is surprisingly accurate, Iv used it to measure a distance and then gone out with my tom tom adventurer watch and its always remarkably close.

For example i used google to plot a 5k route and then ran it using my Tom to m watch and it was 5097 Metres. Not bad being 97 metres out over 5000 in my book.