Body weight: 192 pounds
Notation is sets x reps x weight in lbs

Day 1: SE 2x30
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: SE 2x30
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: SE 2x30
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: SQ 3x205 (=217 1RM), then 5x160; BP 3x175 (=185 1RM); DL 5x255 (=287 1RM); 3 dead hang pull-ups

Dude, those 1RM numbers are ABYSMAL compared to three months ago. WTH, man? Hey, no need to get all dramatic about it. Across the board they dropped about 20%. That's interesting to me: it's not like one lift dropped a lot, and another dropped a little, and another somewhere in between. No, they all dropped about the same amount. And, to be honest, I don't really mind. Here's why.
1. I did the day 7 test with a pretty strict "no straining" protocol. In other words--and I had to be honest about this with myself--when I sensed that I was even beginning to strain with the weight, I pulled the plug. 2a. I implemented the "no straining" protocol for a few reasons, chief of which is that I'm focusing much more on endurance right now. 2b. My dentist thinks that my pulsatile tinnitus may be related to my jaw joint. He wants me not to strain at all during exercise. I think you all know that clenching the jaw is one of the first things we do when we start to strain at the gym. (He's also doing some things to help realign my jaw.) 3. I didn't really want to mess around with a training max, be it a conservative one or what have you. After this long base build, I simply wanted to start fresh, without guesswork. 4. I lost six pounds during base building. Some of that was probably muscle, but a lot of it was fat, as I can tell by the way my pants are fitting now. 5. The Max Strength will come back quickly if it can coexist with my increased endurance focus. And if it can't, hey, no big deal. At least I'm doing some Max Strength while I'm focusing more on endurance.

So, feeling rested? I.e., did the rest / recovery week work? Not as well as I would have liked. While I did what I thought were easy SE sessions, they did leave me just a bit fatigued. That may have to do with the fact that I've never done three SE sessions in a week before; I'm not accustomed to the accumulation. I think that if I were to do this kind of a rest week again, I'd reduce the workload in the sessions to 2x20, which is about as easy as it can get for an SE session. You can always give yourself a challenge even in a 2x20 session simply by moving more quickly, both within the exercises and between them.

Any insights gleaned from the SE sessions? I think I've finally got the hang of the KB Goblet Squat. I'm going to add it into my routines more regularly. A lot of endurance folks seem to like it. Also, my calves responded very well to a couple sets on the leg machine. (I think it was Pavel who said that calf exercises are the only thing a leg machine is good for, lol.) You'd think a runner would get more than enough work on his calves, but I've found that a couple sets of supplemental exercises for calves help "reset" them, so to speak, so they're ready for more endurance work.

How's that new Dean Koontz book? It doesn't come out until mid-September. I'm not supposed to say anything until then.

!!!COME ON!!! Okay okay. I'm talking about The Forbidden Door, the fourth book in the Jane Hawk series, which is Koontz's take on a military thriller series. In some ways it's the best of the series so far: he develops Jane's character in directions I wasn't expecting. There's a bizarre scene involving an ultra-pietistic gun runner that is simply fascinating. If you're a fan of Koontz's spiritual/philosophical version of this stuff, I'd go ahead and safely pre-order. Those who like the more gritty, visceral versions of military thrillers, however, should probably stick with Betley, Thor, Silva, etc.

FortyPlusRunner

Re: FortyP's 9 sets of Deadlift per week log

Post by FortyPlusRunner »

Block 6: Fighter + Green
Week 1
Body weight: 188 pounds
TM = treadmill, BB = barbell, NB= nose breathing, DH = dead hang, BW = body weight, AHR = average heart rate

All runs are on mostly flat terrain unless specified otherwise

Day 1: Run 5.1 mil NB 53:13
Day 2: Run 5.3 mil NB 51:46
Day 3: SQ 3x3x165, BP 3x5x140, DL 1x3x215, DH chin-ups 2x3xBW
Day 4: Run TM 4.6 mil NB 45:18 AHR 145; after, DH chip-ups 1x4xBW, 15 push-ups, 30-sec plank
Day 5: Run 6.25 mil NB 58:57
Day 6: SQ 3x5x145, BP 3x5x140, DL 2x3x215, DH chin-ups 4x3xBW, 2x30-sec planks, calves 1x30x200, URRow 1x10x40-BB
Day 7: Rest

Mileage for the week: 21.2

Your body weight dropped four pounds in a week? That's what paleo will do to a guy, yeah. Given all the allergy problems I've been having of late, I decided to finally bite the bullet and go low-carb--and not just low-carb, but paleo low-carb. I'm going to try it for three weeks to see what happens. I'm more or less following Sisson's Primal diet, which I know is popular with some of the guys here on TB. I'm at the end of the first week, and I can say definitively right now that my overall inflammation levels are greatly reduced. Also, my energy levels are much more steady. I've noticed that consistent energy especially during my runs.

Speaking of which, why are they so slow? And what's with this nose breathing stuff? I figured I better take the first week of a low-carb diet pretty easy in terms of the endurance exercise. So, I followed Sisson's recommendation in his Primal Endurance book to do endurance exercise with one's mouth closed. In other words, you breathe only through your nose (i.e., amazingly, "nose breathing"!!). Doing so obviously slows you down; it's very difficult to go into the anaerobic zone while running and only nose breathing (unless you've got a heck of a schnoz). Thus, nose breathing works well with a low-carb diet as you're emphasizing fat-burning while running--and that won't work in the anaerobic zone. You need to stay aerobic. To quote KBlack, "some of you will have to slow yourself down" (TB II, p. 66). Nose breathing is one of the easiest ways to do that.

Seems like you got used to nose breathing as the week went on, though. Yes, and boy was it strange at first! More importantly, though, I didn't think it would work for me because I have a deviated septum, serious enough to warrant an operation; it's probably the source of my many sinus infections. However, I got some of those "thou shalt now breathe correctly strips" that you place on your nose, and they make a big difference.

That's why the final run of the week was significantly faster? Well, no: that was just stupidity on my part. See, I thought that nose breathing was basically a panacea, a cure-all solution to keep you aerobic. Well, guess what I learned the hard way? It's just like your mouth: you can overdo it!! My first three miles on day 5 were 20 seconds faster per mile than my average pace for that day. So you can guess what happened: I completely crashed during the last three miles. I just went out too fast. I honestly didn't think that could happen with nose breathing. But it can--and did. The nose is an air intake, just like the mouth, and even if it automatically slows you down, it doesn't prevent overdoing it. Pity, eh?
Dehydration also had something to do with that day's run. I was only a few days into the Primal diet at that point, and I hadn't realized how much water you need on it. As it turns out, you do need to be very careful about hydration and electrolytes on a low-carb diet, so I'm glad it wasn't all in my head. Still, I'd rather not have learned that lesson the hard way.

Why'd you drop 20 pounds off your squat on day 6? As you can see on day 3, I barely made 3x3 for 165 pounds. My legs were just too tired. So, figuring that 3x3 was representative of what I could do at 90%, I dropped 10% off my 1RM for SQ and tried 145 on day 6. And 3x5 was no problem at that weight.

But...that's roughly what you're benching. That's really imbalanced. Not really. I know many endurance athletes who will only air squat (i.e. only body weight squats), simply for this reason: their endurance exercise tires out their hips, or their quads, or their glutes, to the point where barbell squats are counter-productive. To put it another way, I'm happy to do any squats at all. They may bounce back at some point; I'll certainly "encourage" them to do so!

You're not continuing with Green, are you? Probably not, no: I've already done a long base build, after all. I'm probably going to switch to the "Black 2Es" option, which is 2 HICs and 2 Es per week. That leaves 2 days for Fighter sessions plus a rest day. Should work out nicely.

FortyPlusRunner

Block 6: OP I/A + Green (1 HIC option)
Week 2
Body weight: 185 pounds
TM = treadmill, BB = barbell, FHNB= first half nose breathing, DH = dead hang, BW = body weight, AHR = average heart rate, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping

Day 1: Run 6.4 mil FHNB 1:00:13
Day 2: Hill workout (see notes), 3.2 miles total
Day 3: Run 5.4 mil FHNB 50:34
Day 4: 75%: SQ 3x5x145, BP 3x5x145, DH chin-ups 3x4xBW, URRow 1x8x50
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Run 7.02 mil FHNB 1:06:02
Day 7 I: 80%: SQ 3x5x155, BP 3x5x150, DH chin-ups 5x3xBW, Standing calf raise 2x20xBW, 45-sec. plank, URRow 1x9x50
Day 7 II: Run TM 2.0 mil, 19:43, HR1 117

You lost another three pounds of body weight? Indeed. This Primal diet is working for this guy. I haven't been sub-190 pounds in several years, and it looks like excessive carbs were the culprit. Amazing. I wrote last week that I'd be trying this diet for three weeks, but I have a new goal now: I'd like to see if I can get sub-180 pounds, which I haven't been in about 12 years. Yeah, my max strength and endurance performance will both take a hit in the short-term, but I'm thinking long-term.

What's this newfangled nose breathing thing you're doing now? Looking back over my mile splits from the past couple months, I noticed a clear pattern: I usually go out too fast for the first two miles and then equalize, more or less, for the remainder. So I figured if I were to use nose breathing for the first half of a run (or, when I go longer, for the first three miles), I might be able to correct the "going out too fast" problem. It seemed to work well for most of the runs this week. I'm not averse to going back to nose breathing for a whole run, but we'll see.
I also increased my salt intake this week, and doing so helped, I think, with electrolyte balance. (I'm getting more than enough potassium and magnesium.)

You ran three days in a row at the start of this week? Yeah, for a good reason: the weather on day 3 was unseasonably cool. At 6AM it was 59F, and I wasn't going to miss that opportunity. Too bad it was 92% RH, but hey, I'll take what I can get during this crazy summer.

Day 2...that's your first real hill workout in a while, right? Indeed. There's a nice hill right around the corner from me: 117 meters at 9.8% grade. I jogged easily for 15 minutes, did some brief drills (high knees), and then sprinted up the hill. The first two repeats were about 24 seconds each; the third was 25, so I thought I might be reaching my limit; and the fourth was 26, so I shut it down. (I rested from three to four minutes between each repeat, including the walk down.) Then I jogged easily for 15 minutes to cool down.
My PR on this hill is in the high 23 range, so I was very pleased with the initial 24s; I seem to be in better shape than last year.

Your chin-ups seem to be coming along. That's no doubt due in large part to the reduction in body weight. Also, I can't yet do a set of 10, but I figure that 5x3 is a good milepost along the way to that goal. I'll try for 4x4 next, or maybe 3x5.

No DL this week? I sensed some lingering soreness in my hamstrings this week, so I forewent the DLs. I may try again this coming week; I'll have to see how the hamstrings are doing. I've been hitting DL pretty hard for a while now, so maybe I could use some time off the lift. We'll see.

Read anything good lately? I had a moment of shock when I realized that I'd read all the Lee Child / Jack Reacher novels except the first (which is The Killing Floor). Now, I was a little scared of going back to read it for a couple reasons. First, when you've read the best in the series--One Shot, Persuader, Night School, etc.--your chances of being disappointed with an author's first novel in a series are high. Second, Child had (IMHO) some editing issues in his early novels: some of them have these long "police procedural" passages that make for good screenplays but just bog down readers in what I would call unnecessary epistemological justification. To put that another way, it's like Child was preoccupied early on with demonstrating how his characters know what they know. Yes, that's a very important consideration in detective novels, but it was over the top for me in some of the early novels. So, for those two reasons, I was hesitant to go back to The Killing Floor.
I shouldn't have worried. It's clearly one of the best in the series. Really looking forward to Past Tense, due out in early November.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 3
Body weight: 182 pounds
TM = treadmill, BB = barbell, FHNB= first half nose breathing, NB = nose breathing, DH = dead hang, BW = body weight

Day 1: Rest
Day 2: Deload (60-65%): SQ 3x5x135, BP 3x5x115, DH chin-ups 5x4xBW, 45-sec. plank, URRow 1x5x60
Day 3: Hill Sprints (see notes), 3.4 mil total
Day 4: Run 5.5 mil NB 51:56
Day 5: Mixed Max Strength: 65% SQ 5x5x125, 80% BP 3x5x150, DH chin-ups 3x5xBW + 3x3xBW, 50-sec. plank, URRow 1x6x60
Day 6: Run 8.7 mil Long Hill FHNB 1:25:27
Day 7 I: Run 3.6 mil NB 33:01
Day 7 II: SE 2x25

Mileage for the week: 21.2

I think your day 2 squat calculation is off. You are correct: I forgot to take the 90% training max (which I'm using only for squat), so I ended up doing closer to 70%, which really defeated the purpose of taking a deload day. So, I put the correct deload weight on for squat on day 5 instead, and it went much better: I was able to go through 5x5 no problem, whereas 3x5 on day 2 had been enough.

Why'd you take a deload day, anyway? I was having that "maxed out" sensation, even after the rest day. In this situation, I've found it really helpful to take a deload day, after which I can usually get back on track.

Day 6...what do you mean by "Long Hill"? The first half of the run (4.3 miles) is uphill. In particular, the section from miles 2.5 to 4.3 is completely uphill--and that's what I'm referring to as the "Long Hill." Now, the grade of the long hill is low: only 2%. But it's close to two miles of 2% grade; i.e., an incline of about 200 feet. It's no mountain, of course, but running it makes for a good workout, especially while nose breathing.

How'd the hill sprints go? Great--a notable improvement from last week. I did a 1.6-mil warm up, five sprints, and then the same 1.6-mile cool down. The sprints this week were right on the line between high 23s and low 24s for the first four repeats, but the fifth repeat was a high 25, so that was an obvious cue to shut down the workout.

Did you see that movie Searching? I did. What a thrill ride. Emotional, too. I recommend it.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 4
Body weight: 182 pounds
FHNB= first half nose breathing, NB = nose breathing, DH = dead hang, BW = body weight

Day 1: Run 6.01 mil FHNB 55:20
Day 2: 85%: SQ 3x3x165, BP 3x3x155, DH chin-ups 2x5xBW + 2x3xBW, URRow 1x3x70
Day 3: Prog. Run (see notes) 3.5 mil 30:28
Day 4: Run 6.65 mil FHNB 1:00:49
Day 5: 85%: SQ 3x3x165, BP 3x3x155, DH chin-ups 2x5xBW + 1x3xBW, URRow 2x5x60
Day 6: Run 10.65 mil NB 1:34:27
Day 7: Run 3.6 mil NB 30:28

Mileage for the week: 30.4

--> PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: EAT YOUR SALT! <--

Um...did you, like, get a case of hyponatremia or something? Yes. It was my own stupid fault, of course, and it was a mild case, but still, it's something to be seriously concerned about. The symptom that revealed it was a tingling sensation in my fingertips. I first thought it was some nervous system thing from all these chin-ups I've been doing, but when it didn't go away, I started getting suspicious. That's also when I noticed that I had other symptoms: weird fatigue (not "I'm tired" fatigue), strange sweating patterns, a few muscle spasms, and an almost total lack of suppleness in the muscles. On their own, each of these symptoms is par for the course every now and then for a distance runner. But together... So, starting on day 5 of this week, I began ingesting more sodium. I took 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt (that's about 1.5 grams) in a lot of water before I ran on day 6, and let me say this without exaggeration: it was the best run I've had in weeks. I did the same thing on day 7, and look at the result: one of the best runs I've had in months.
Now, you all understand this concept perfectly well, I'm sure: there is no way a little salt should be helping me that much unless I'm outright deficient. And all the other signs point in that direction, anyway--including my personal medical history. For some reason I've always lost a lot of salt in my sweat. Yes, all people do, but I do more than most that I've met. I'm that guy who quite literally has salt crystals encrusted on his face after long runs.
I get sufficient potassium, magnesium, and calcium, and I just haven't been thinking twice recently about sodium; I figured, like most folks, I get more than enough. But it's been a pretty hot and humid summer in our area (and everywhere else, it sounds like), so it's not surprising that I'm down on sodium. The low-carb / keto diet I've been on hasn't helped matters, of course: you have to be doubly careful to get your electrolytes on that kind of diet. Anyway, I'm glad it's been such an easy fix so far.

Can you explain your DH chin-ups progression? If you look over the past few weeks, you can see that I've been slowly but surely increasing by varying the number of reps and sets each time. I switched those up to provide some different stimuli. But I made a mistake last week on day 5: I overdid it, making two big jumps in successive workouts. Because that day was also the first time I made a set of 3x5, I was already pushing it. Anyway, when I got to this week, I couldn't replicate the 3x5, so that was an obvious sign that I'd gone into over-training on that exercise. So, I simply backed off.

I'm guessing a "Prog. Run" is a progression run? Right you are! It's one of my favorite workouts. You take it easy the first mile (per usual), and then you just start letting yourself go a little faster, a little faster... The trick is that you want to be at a "comfortably hard" cruising pace for the last part of the run but not before; a progression run is no fun if you have to slow down at some point!

Hey, you maintained body weight this week. Yes, and there are a few reasons for that. First, I started experimenting with eating a few more carbs toward the end of the week, and I'm fairly sure my body started rebuilding glycogen stores as a result (which also means gaining some water weight). Second, I discovered the sodium problem, and beginning to fix it probably means I'm now retaining proper amounts of water weight. Third, I had two 85% Max Strength workouts this week, and I tend to gain a little body weight when I get into the heavier lifting ranges.

So, if you're doing the low-carb / Sisson thing, are you getting into minimalist shoes, too? After getting some advice from folks, I've decided to try it. I'm starting conservatively: I got some Nike Free RN shoes, and I did the day 7 run in them. I loved it! The feel, the response, the lightness--it's wonderful. I didn't have any residual soreness, but I'll have to see how I'm doing two days after the run, as that's when the dreaded DOMS might kick in. I was a little hesitant to try a minimalist shoe as I have deformed ankles and have to wear custom orthotics at all times, but my orthotics fit in the Nikes no problem, and, as I said, the run was euphoric.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 5
Body weight: 180 pounds
FHNB= first half nose breathing, NB = nose breathing, DH = dead hang, BW = body weight

Day 1: 90%: SQ 3x3x175, BP 3x3x165, DH chin-ups 3x5xBW, URRow 2x3x70
Day 2: Run 7.15 mil NB 1:01:27
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Run 7.1 mil FHNB 1:00:06
Day 5: Run 3.5 mil Hilly 30:11
Day 6: 60-65%: SQ 5x5x115, BP 5x5x115, DL 3x3x175, DH chin-ups 7x3xBW, URRow 3x5x50
Day 7: Run 11.7 mil FHNB 1:42:17

Mileage for the week: 29.4

You lost another two pounds of body weight? Yeah: I got back on the very-low-carb / keto regime for many meals this week, though I'm still incorporating more carbs than I did the first few weeks of this diet. My impression is that low-carb (<150 grams per day) works better for me than keto (<50 grams carbs per day), but I'm still new at this, so I'm going to continue to monitor it.
Important note: I take 2.5 grams of BCAAs most mornings. It doesn't put me in a bad mood (apparently this effect hits some people pretty hard), and I've consistently noticed that when I *don't* take it, I'm at an exponentially greater risk of finishing a run with a heavy ammonia stench all over me. I've *never* had that ammonia stench after a run when taking BCAAs. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but the evidence seems to indicate that, especially on a low-carb diet, BCAAs taken on an empty stomach have a protein-sparing effect. I'll leave the real science of it to real scientists, but that's my experience FWIW.

Where's your HIC this week? It's the day 5 run. The course was up and down hills the whole time, and I took a "comfortably hard" pace in my Nike Free RN shoes, which increased the difficulty, since I'm still getting accustomed to the shoes. Sure, it wasn't as intense a HIC as I would have liked, but as you can tell from this week's schedule I've been trying to increase the distance of my daily runs. That was the main goal this week.

You, uh, kinda overdid your deload day, didn't cha? I may have gone a little overboard on day 6, yes. And I especially sensed the effects of that during my day 7 run, the first few miles of which were more difficult than they should have been, due to soreness in my hips and hamstrings. I was especially stupid in throwing in not one, not two, but three sets of DL on my deload day, when I haven't done a single set of DL for at least several weeks. I'll go more easily next time.
Good news, though: I was able to do two genuine dead hang pull-ups--that is, overhand grip--after many sets of chin-ups. That's a first for me. My shoulder with the pin in it was oddly sore afterwards, so I'm not sure I'll repeat the pull-ups (the shoulder situation is why I do chin-ups), but I was glad to have that small victory.

How's the hyponatremia situation? Resolved, thankfully. I've increased my salt intake while keeping other electrolytes coming in at the same rate, more or less. No more tingling in the fingers; no more weird fatigue; and, oddly enough, less salt in my sweat. Funny how that works.

You've finished this OP I/A block; what's next? I'm considering three options. First: a body weight circuit that will keep the basic movements fresh and greased, but that will minimize repercussions on running. Second: another OP I/A block except with a very conservative training max that basically puts the progression at 60/65/70. Such a minimalist load will hopefully strike that balance between keeping basic strength levels consistent while not interfering with running--and maybe even enhancing it! Third: an experimental LME block. I've written briefly about LME before, but the first time I tried it I was trashed by it. So, I'll have to start slowly.
The key for any of these three options is to find a template that will keep strength levels at least consistent and will not interfere with running. I've tried the ultra-basic OHP/DL routine before, which is fine; that might be a fourth option. Any runners who have experience in this area, feel free to chime in and make suggestions.

Did you see that crazy First Reformed movie? Actually yes. What a wild ride that was! Even though it's set in New York state, it's basically a Southern Gothic story--i.e., Flannery O'Connor, Walker Percy, etc. There's a heavy dose of Georges Bernanos thrown in, too. If you like artsy films that explore complex and difficult spiritual topics, you'll love this one. Added bonus: the writer/director is the same guy famous for Taxi Driver. Good pedigree there.

FortyPlusRunner

Block 7: Half Marathon training
Week 1
Body weight: 178 pounds
FHNB= first half nose breathing, NB = nose breathing, DH = dead hang, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, MIN = minimalist shoes

Day 1: SE 2x20
Day 2: Run 5.3 mil FHNB 43:17
Day 3: SE 2x20
Day 4: Run 6.0 mil FHNB 50:56
Day 5: Run 4.1 mil NB MIN 35:17
Day 6 AM: Run 8.0 mil FHNB 1:07:21
Day 6 PM: Push-ups 3x17, Bent-over row 3x17x50-KB, URRow 2x5x50-KB
Day 7: Run 4.1 mil Moderately Hilly MIN 34:02

Mileage for the week: 27.5

You're training for a half marathon? Theoretically. In the past, I've found that following a half marathon training plan tends to get me into decent running shape. So while I don't have a solid plan to run an actual half marathon this year, I'm betting that one is in my future. I'm following the basic Hansons plan, by the way, with a few minor adjustments.

You're up to twice a week with the minimalist running shoes, I see. Yes, and that's probably as far as I'll take it. There was a well-executed study of recreational runners re minimalist shoes in the past year; it concluded that running in them for more than 1/3rd of your weekly mileage was counter-productive. Up to that point, though, there were benefits. I had 8 miles in mine this week, so that's about right.

Why 3x17 for the bent-over rows? I wanted those to substitute for 3x5 chin-ups. So, 5 chin-ups at body weight for me is roughly equal to 17 reps with a 50-lb kettlebell. In other words, I wanted to do about the same amount of work, except with an SE focus.

So, if you're transitioning into more serious running, can you justify keeping this training log on TB? I think so. First, KBlack makes mention of marathoners every now and then in his books, and one of the conditioning protocols he lists is from a nationally-ranked runner. We runners aren't verboten. Second, JMadd's book on athletics in later age has been very helpful to me, so I'm hoping this log will be of at least some little use in that context, as I'm in my mid-40s myself right now. Third, I'm going to continue to do "something other than running" while I'm running, even if that's just two body weight, SE-style workouts per week. And I'm sure I'll do a Max Strength block again sometime in the future, as I enjoy it and want to maintain those levels, at least to some degree.

There's a new Flannery O'Connor book coming out next week. Don't I know it--the first time in five years, I think, and it features some letters we haven't seen before, apparently. I'm looking forward to it.

FortyPlusRunner

Block 7: Half Marathon training
Week 2
Body weight: 175 pounds
FHNB= first half nose breathing, NB = nose breathing, DH = dead hang, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, MIN = minimalist shoes, TM = treadmill, BB = barbell, DB = dumbbell

Day 1 AM: Run 4.1 mil, One Ending Hill, 33:56
Day 1 PM: Push-ups 3x17, Bent-over row 3x17x50-KB, URRow 3x5x50-KB
Day 2: Run 6.0 mil, including 6 x 400s (average 1:38s) with 400m jogs in between each
Day 3: Lower body rest; Upper body LME with 60-sec. rests: BP 3x15x95, Bent-over Row 3x15x60-BB, OHP 3x15x20-BB, Hammer curls 3x15x10-DBs, crunches
Day 4: Run 6.1 mil, including 5K tempo in 23:00
Day 5: Run TM (incline 1.5) 4.0 mil 34:57
Day 6: Run 9.0 mil 1:14:29
Day 7 AM: Run 4.0 mil NB Moderately Hilly 33:33
Day 7 PM: TBA

Mileage for the week: 33.2

I'm guessing there's an injury report. What a prognosticator! Yeah, I kinda overdid it with the upper body workouts over the past few weeks, which hopefully makes most of you laugh because, as you can see, I'm doing very little! Seriously, I sensed last week a "pulling" injury under my left armpit--the kind of soreness that makes you think twice about pull-ups, upright rows, etc. That's why, by the way, day 7's PM workout is currently To Be Announced: I'm going to have to see how I'm feeling. I think I can stick with the push-ups and the rows; we'll see.
I also started sensing some pain in my left plantar fascia, which is a major red flag for me, as I have deformed ankles and am highly susceptible to PF injuries anyway. So, as you might have noticed in the log, I ditched the minimalist shoes this week, which do help runners strengthen their PF, but which in my case I have to be extremely careful or conservative about. As of today, after a 10-minute ice bath, things feel fine.

What is LME (day 3) again? Local Muscular Endurance. Rock climbers and other athletes who like to maintain as low a body weight as possible yet an endurance-based strength rely on LME during certain parts of their training cycles. I'm trying it out for upper body to see how it fits with a recreational distance athlete's regimen. The two main ways LME is different from the standard TB SE are: 1) You use 40-50% 1RM; and 2) You do 3-5 sets of 15-20 reps back to back with minimal rest in between each set, usually 30-60 seconds. To put it another way, LME is kinda "between" SE and Max Strength. That said, LME advocates seem to agree that the regimen is appropriate only during particular parts of a training cycle. I'm no expert, so I'm looking forward to learning more about it, partly through the experience of, well, simply trying it.

That day 6 run is one of the best you've had in a long time. Hey, thanks for noticing there, big guy--but let's not get too excited yet. First, the weather was delightful: upper 40s, only a moderate wind, and moderate humidity, too. Second, I was mouth-breathing for most of it; I just couldn't get the hang of nose-breathing for any long amount of time with air that cold. (I suspect that's something I just have to get used to.) Finally--and this is an important consideration for my future training, I think--I ran very easily on the treadmill the day before. All of these factors contributed to an enjoyable and effective long run. Let's hope I can replicate the conditions in the future.

Can you translate your log into typical TB terms? The half marathon schedule I'm following, and thus my base for week to week calculations, is 2 HIC + 4 E sessions per week. I added three upper body sessions this week: two SE, and one LME. Those may be too much, especially given my "under the armpit" injury.

You're losing body weight like a...runner. Imagine that. I'm still following a low-carb routine, and some days I do lapse into full-on keto, but I have to be careful to manage hydration and electrolytes. For instance, on day 4 this week, after I'd done the 5K tempo workout, I was doing some work (standing up) and sneezed a couple times. Two seconds later my right lower abdominals seized up like nobody's business. I quite literally had to drop to one knee just to relieve some of the pressure in my abs. The infernal charley horse let up about a minute later, but it was very obvious that I was dehydrated and/or salt-deprived. I took care of that tout de suite.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

FortyPlusRunner wrote:Block 7: Half Marathon training
Week 2
Body weight: 175 pounds
FHNB= first half nose breathing, NB = nose breathing, DH = dead hang, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, MIN = minimalist shoes, TM = treadmill, BB = barbell, DB = dumbbell

Day 1 AM: Run 4.1 mil, One Ending Hill, 33:56
Day 1 PM: Push-ups 3x17, Bent-over row 3x17x50-KB, URRow 3x5x50-KB
Day 2: Run 6.0 mil, including 6 x 400s (average 1:38s) with 400m jogs in between each
Day 3: Lower body rest; Upper body LME with 60-sec. rests: BP 3x15x95, Bent-over Row 3x15x60-BB, OHP 3x15x20-BB, Hammer curls 3x15x10-DBs, crunches
Day 4: Run 6.1 mil, including 5K tempo in 23:00
Day 5: Run TM (incline 1.5) 4.0 mil 34:57
Day 6: Run 9.0 mil 1:14:29
Day 7 AM: Run 4.0 mil NB Moderately Hilly 33:33
Day 7 PM: TBA

Mileage for the week: 33.2

I'm guessing there's an injury report. What a prognosticator! Yeah, I kinda overdid it with the upper body workouts over the past few weeks, which hopefully makes most of you laugh because, as you can see, I'm doing very little! Seriously, I sensed last week a "pulling" injury under my left armpit--the kind of soreness that makes you think twice about pull-ups, upright rows, etc. That's why, by the way, day 7's PM workout is currently To Be Announced: I'm going to have to see how I'm feeling. I think I can stick with the push-ups and the rows; we'll see.
I also started sensing some pain in my left plantar fascia, which is a major red flag for me, as I have deformed ankles and am highly susceptible to PF injuries anyway. So, as you might have noticed in the log, I ditched the minimalist shoes this week, which do help runners strengthen their PF, but which in my case I have to be extremely careful or conservative about. As of today, after a 10-minute ice bath, things feel fine.

What is LME (day 3) again? Local Muscular Endurance. Rock climbers and other athletes who like to maintain as low a body weight as possible yet an endurance-based strength rely on LME during certain parts of their training cycles. I'm trying it out for upper body to see how it fits with a recreational distance athlete's regimen. The two main ways LME is different from the standard TB SE are: 1) You use 40-50% 1RM; and 2) You do 3-5 sets of 15-20 reps back to back with minimal rest in between each set, usually 30-60 seconds. To put it another way, LME is kinda "between" SE and Max Strength. That said, LME advocates seem to agree that the regimen is appropriate only during particular parts of a training cycle. I'm no expert, so I'm looking forward to learning more about it, partly through the experience of, well, simply trying it.

That day 6 run is one of the best you've had in a long time. Hey, thanks for noticing there, big guy--but let's not get too excited yet. First, the weather was delightful: upper 40s, only a moderate wind, and moderate humidity, too. Second, I was mouth-breathing for most of it; I just couldn't get the hang of nose-breathing for any long amount of time with air that cold. (I suspect that's something I just have to get used to.) Finally--and this is an important consideration for my future training, I think--I ran very easily on the treadmill the day before. All of these factors contributed to an enjoyable and effective long run. Let's hope I can replicate the conditions in the future.

Can you translate your log into typical TB terms? The half marathon schedule I'm following, and thus my base for week to week calculations, is 2 HIC + 4 E sessions per week. I added three upper body sessions this week: two SE, and one LME. Those may be too much, especially given my "under the armpit" injury.

You're losing body weight like a...runner. Imagine that. I'm still following a low-carb routine, and some days I do lapse into full-on keto, but I have to be careful to manage hydration and electrolytes. For instance, on day 4 this week, after I'd done the 5K tempo workout, I was doing some work (standing up) and sneezed a couple times. Two seconds later my right lower abdominals seized up like nobody's business. I quite literally had to drop to one knee just to relieve some of the pressure in my abs. The infernal charley horse let up about a minute later, but it was very obvious that I was dehydrated and/or salt-deprived. I took care of that tout de suite.
It really amazes me how you can survive that on low carb/keto, mate! I am learning a lot reading your entries. Cheers!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

FortyPlusRunner

Barkadion wrote:
It really amazes me how you can survive that on low carb/keto, mate! I am learning a lot reading your entries. Cheers!
Hey thanks, Barkadion! Mark Sisson says it's possible, so I guess I kinda believed him and went for it. I know similar programs have worked for J-Madd and others, so... It's great to know this little log of mine can be of use. Cheers indeed!