Operator Plus Jump Rope

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Voo Doo

Operator Plus Jump Rope

Post by Voo Doo »

Hey, new to the forums.

I've recently made a switch from Stronglifts to TB.
Wish I had heard of it sooner.

I'm currently serving in a Recce unit (Recon for You Americans.) So this kind of training is ideal.

I've chosen Operator with the Cluster BP, SQUAT, WP and DEADLIFTS instead of the SQUAT on a Friday.

My question is do you think I would be detracting from my lifts massively by doing 100 Jump ropes between each set? Takes Me about a minute so I still get a full minute rest.

Cheers for the responses.

Re: Operator Plus Jump Rope

Post by Likes »

I don't think it would do much harm, but I can't imagine much benefit from it

Voo Doo

Post by Voo Doo »

Likes wrote:I don't think it would do much harm, but I can't imagine much benefit from it
Cheers for the response. Better off doing a jump rope session in a oner at the end of the workout?

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Hi Voo Doo

Do you follow a conditioning template in addition to OP sessions?

In TB conditioning book, there are many HIC which implement jump rope

Tom28

Post by Tom28 »

I would advise against. As you progress on operator you're gonna need that rest between - it goes up to 95% of actual max, not training max. One of the reasons TB is so great is because it gradually allows you to increase your gains without burning yourself out (as opposed to 5/3/1 in my opinion). So, why handicap yourself with conditioning between sets when you could just focus on max strength, then move to conditioning right after you lift. After you lift you can go nuts with some the TB conditioning protocols without having to wonder whether the mid-set jumping rope negatively affected your lifts. Good luck!

RileyNadoroznick

Post by RileyNadoroznick »

I actually have some experience doing this.

A few years back when I was training for my first Spartan Race I had the bright idea of adding conditioning work between lifting sets. I tried jump rope, I tried light rucking, and I tried burpees. While my conditioning improved, my lifts when way down. For a short two-three week period leading up to a race, there may be some benefit to doing it, but overall, I think there is a much better approach.

The combination of TB and TBII is infinitely better. Keeping your strength sessions focussed on strength, your conditioning sessions focussed on conditioning, and strength endurance sessions focussed on strength endurance has made all the difference in the world for me and my athletes.

If you feel like you're "wasting time" during your rest breaks between sets, I would suggest looking into some Original Strength RESET work. Neck nods, rocking, crawls... this type of stuff seems to help improve mobility and recovery between sets.
#TrainWithConviction

Voo Doo

Post by Voo Doo »

Thank you for the responses.

I'm limited to 3 sessions a week so add the conditioning on to the end of the strength training is my best bet?

RileyNadoroznick

Post by RileyNadoroznick »

Voo Doo wrote:Thank you for the responses.

I'm limited to 3 sessions a week so add the conditioning on to the end of the strength training is my best bet?
That's exactly what I would do.
#TrainWithConviction

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

RileyNadoroznick wrote:Keeping your strength sessions focussed on strength, your conditioning sessions focussed on conditioning, and strength endurance sessions focussed on strength endurance has made all the difference in the world for me and my athletes.
Some solid advice right here.