FortyP's 9 sets of Deadlift per week log

FortyPlusRunner

Re: FortyP's 9 sets of Deadlift per week log

Post by FortyPlusRunner »

Block 10: Distance running training
Week 5: Recovery / Deload week
Body weight: 162 lbs
Notation is sets x reps x weight in lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, DB = dumbbell, BB = barbell

Day 1: Recovery Run TM 5.8 mil 45:44 HR1 97; some pull-ups, URRows, etc.
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Stamina / Tempo Run 5.1 mil 34:31
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Long / Stamina Run 8.25 mil 57:53
Day 7: Recovery Run TM 5.2 mil 40:19 HR1 108

Mileage for the week: 24.3

You had a couple uptempo runs, considering it was a recovery week! Yes, but let's not get too excited quite yet. First, the weather was pristine both days. Second, I had a lot of rest going into both. Third, I sensed during both runs that all the cylinders were firing, so I let things rip without going overboard. True, those two runs may indicate better fitness, but only time will tell. We'll have to see over the coming weeks. To that end, I might do a time trial this coming week.
By the way, it's perfectly acceptable to do a couple uptempo efforts during a recovery week, as long as you observe a couple ground rules: you keep within your recovery week mileage, and you don't race your training.

How did you compute your recovery week mileage? There are a few ways of doing it, but the one I followed here was the most conservative, speculating that I would probably have a couple faster efforts during the week. That method is to take 60% of your highest recent mileage. So, if in the past eight weeks the most weekly mileage you've run is 40, you'd do a recovery week at 24. Dropping down that low allows you to maintain or even increase your intensity for one or two runs while still getting adequate rest. A recovery week is distinct, though, from a taper, but that's a different topic.

How's the knee doing? Weird. No pain, as I mentioned, but it feels squishy. I'm wondering if there's some fluid in there. I've never had knee problems in the past, so this is all new to me. I'll probably see my doc sometime in the coming week just to see what's going on. It's odd to see a doctor when you're not in pain, but...something's not right, and it's not going away on its own. I'll keep icing it, too.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 6
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, DB = dumbbell, BB = barbell

Day 1: Rest
Day 2: TRK 6 x 400m (1.27.5 average) with 400m jogs in between (1:56 - 2:01 range); 6 mil total
Day 3: 8x3xBW pull-ups (various grips), 1x5x160 leg extension machine, various other upper-body exercises
Day 4: Easy Run TM 6.0 mil 45:13 HR1 104
Day 5: Stamina Run, one hill, 5.1 mil 36:53
Day 6: Long Run, Hilly, 12.1 mil 1:28:59
Day 7: Stamina Run 5.0 mil 35:45

Mileage for the week: 34.2

What's with the single set on the leg extension machine? I've found over the years that strengthening my quads is really helpful for my running. Barbell squats of any kind take too much out of me energy-wise during heavy running weeks, so I just throw in a single work set of leg extensions every now and then. I make sure to do a couple warm-up sets before the work set, of course. If I sense my quads are in good shape, I may do calves instead. I'll do hamstrings only if I really think they need attention; if I throw in a set of kettlebell swings every now and then, they generally don't.

Three weeks ago you had the same 400m intervals times, more or less, but your recovery jogs then were a lot slower. Bingo. As I've said before, that's one way of measuring progress: run the same interval times, and see how your recovery jogs improve. They don't have to: you'll still get a very good workout just by running the 400s at a decent pace (5K - 10K pace). But if your recovery jogs do improve, you'll know your speed-endurance has improved.

Days 5 through 7 look a little too intense or unbalanced. Where are the recovery runs? Yeah, yeah, I know. We got really good weather here, so I ran outside all three of those days. And I got a new pair of shoes, and they felt great... And my knee was starting to feel better, so... And I didn't do a tempo run this week... Excuses, I know. Don't worry: Day 1 of the coming week is a rest day.

The knee's feeling better? What was wrong with it? I still have no clue. I started icing it twice a day, and I eliminated the week's tempo run, and I got a new pair of shoes, and I replaced my orthotic insoles. One of those things--or, more likely, all of them--probably contributed to the recuperation. It's not 100% yet, but it's definitely on the mend. Again, through this whole weird process I haven't felt any pain. Just "pins and needles" (tingling) and some weird pressure in there. But it seems to be abating.

I heard you almost got arrested during your long run. My, someone's got a police scanner, eh? Of course, it wasn't quite that dramatic. I ran past a "road closed" sign, hoping for some relief from cars, and about two miles later a sheriff's van starting driving towards me very slowly. I waved at the guy and he waved back and that was that. Boy were those two miles peaceful, though. Closed roads are about the next best thing to trails.

Well, I think there are more than enough indicators now that your fitness has improved. I'm not quite ready to draw that conclusion, but there's an easy way to find out: time to run a race. I'm thinking about hopping in a 5K this weekend. We'll see how things work out.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 7

Day 1: Rest
Day 2: 5x3xBW pull-ups, 1x5x130 leg extensions, various other exercises
Day 3: Easy Run, one hill, 6.1 mil 44:53
Day 4: Recovery Run TM 5.0 mil 40:23 HR1 111
Day 5: Recovery Run TM 3.1 mil 24:36 HR1 104
Day 6: 5K race, very hilly, 19:22; 5.1 mil total
Day 7: Recovery Run TM 5.0 mil 39:23 HR1 106

Mileage for the week: 24.3

Hey, your 5K race time on day 6 is a full minute faster than the one you ran last Thanksgiving! Yes! And this was a tougher course--not because there were more hills (the number of hills was about the same) but because the hills were steeper. So I was satisfied with this race. Turns out there were only about 100 people running it, too, so I ended up finishing in the top five overall and winning my age group.

However...the 10K you ran last December predicts a slightly faster 5K time than what you ran this past week. True, but when you make those kinds of comparisons, you have to take all kinds of things into consideration: weather, terrain, and the specificity of the training. So I'm not too worried about it; in terms of direct comparisons of 5Ks, I've made progress.

Were you a little concerned after that high HR1 reading on day 4? Yes--and I confess that during the race I sensed that I was still recovering from the day 3 run, which I took just a little too quickly for a race-week easy run. I'll have to be more careful next time.

You're keeping up with your pull-ups, I see. Oh yeah; I'm not going to let those go so easily, especially after how hard I worked to just be able to do a single one in the proper position (palms facing away from you). I'll still throw in various grips for multiple sets, but I mostly stick with the proper grip and the "palms facing each other" grip, which puts my arms most closely in the position that matches a runner's arm motion.

What's the plan for next week? There's a long race next weekend (between 9 and 10 miles) that I'm thinking of hopping into. I'd like to see how my fitness is doing on the other end of the scale, in other words (more distance-based).

Reading anything interesting? You know, I missed Vince Flynn's American Assassin when it came out, so I'm catching up with it. What an intense read! Flynn really knew how to write 'em. So tragic that he met an untimely death. I do hope that perpetual light is shining upon him.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 8
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, DB = dumbbell, BB = barbell, NB = nose breathing

Day 1: Stamina Run: 6.5 mil in 47:02; 7.0 mil total
Day 2: Recovery Run TM 4.0 mil 32:09 HR1 101
Day 3: Easy weights workout
Day 4: Easy Run NB 4.1 mil 33:41 HR1 105
Day 5: Easy Run TM 3.0 mil 24:05 HR1 103
Day 6: 9.4-mile Race, 1:04:29, very hilly, windy, warm & humid
Day 7: Recovery Run TM 5.0 mil 41:27 HR1 96

Mileage for the week: 32.5

“When the main competitions are reached, it is important to realize you have trained for them, and you should not continue to train hard, as many athletes make the mistake of doing.” –Arthur Lydiard

Are you disappointed with your time for that day 6 race? Yes and no, and I’ll explain both.

Yes, because for most of the race I was on-par for a 1:02, and then we got to the final uphill of the race right in the middle of mile 7. It was a half-mile long hill, and it destroyed me. I easily lost a full minute on that hill, and I probably lost another minute just recovering from it in the final mile of the race. The leader—the guy in first place—actually STOPPED AND WALKED up part of the hill for about twenty seconds. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. The guy in second slowly caught up to him, and then the guy in first started running again (he would eventually win—easily, I might add). It was the longest hill on the course; it was a doozy; and, to boot, it was the fourth major uphill of the race, after we’d already suffered an 11% grade incline hill earlier. I watched my goal time just get swallowed up on that hill, so, yeah, I was a bit disappointed because I should’ve paced myself better.

At the same time, no, I’m not disappointed for several reasons. First, that hill destroyed EVERYBODY. It was an equalizer. Second, nobody was happy with their times: we all agreed it was a challenging course. Third, it was a point-to-point race, and we had a 10-20mph headwind in our faces the whole time. Sure, it cooled us off, but it also beat us up and slowed us down. Fourth, it was warm and humid (88% RH); even with that constant headwind, I was soaked and dripping at the finish line. Fifth—and this is mea culpa bigtime—I could tell that I shouldn’t have done that day 1 stamina run earlier in the week: I wasn’t fully recovered. (I really should know better.)

In any case, as you might have guessed from my description of the lead guy above, I did finish in the top five overall, and each of the other four guys was at least a decade younger than I, so I did win my age group—not all that meaningful because it was a small race (about 100 runners total), but nonetheless satisfying, given the day’s challenge.

You did some nose-breathing on day 4? Yes: I decided to see if keeping my mouth shut, which generally helps me in many areas of life, would help me keep an easy / recovery pace when running outdoors. I was out of practice with nose-breathing—you have to get used to it—so it was a little awkward, and in retrospect I think I should’ve just hopped on the treadmill to take it easy. It was worth a try, though.

Looking at your HR1 numbers, I’m wondering if that “easy weights workout” was the best idea? I agree: I seemed to be ready to go after day 2, but it looks like days 3 – 5 were a mild spike and then a decline again. I’ll have to take that into consideration next time.

What’s next, then? Recovery week, for sure. At some point—probably not this week but in two weeks—I’d like to do a season-end 2-mile time trial, just to see where I’m at. I can choose the date, time, and venue myself, so I should be able to get favorable conditions on a track. Having that time trial number will be very helpful, both for short-term planning and long-term reference.

Reading anything interesting? I’m a big fan of C. S. Lewis’s Space Trilogy, so I picked up a biography of Lewis by Alan Jacobs, The Narnian. It’s controversial among Lewis scholars, so I am intrigued as to why. It seems pretty straightforward so far—and enlightening.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 9
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, DB = dumbbell, BB = barbell, NB = nose breathing, SBike = stationary bike

Day 1: Several sets of BW pull-ups; Calf machine, 1x15x240; various other exercises; 30 mins SBike
Day 2: Easy Run, one hill, 6.7 mil 53:41
Day 3: Easy Run, windy, two hills, 6.3 mil 50:21
Day 4: Easy Run, one hill, 4.3 mil 34:32
Day 5: Easy Run, two hills, 8.5 mil 1:05:15
Day 6: ABC (Airport Baggage Carry)
Day 7: Easy+ Run, undulating+, 7.1 mil 53:50

Mileage for the week: 33

That’s a race recovery week? Sure, for a couple reasons. First, I didn’t do any faster-paced running or running-based workouts, like intervals. Second, I even slowed down my easy pace—something I’m generally loathe to do—by listening to some audiobooks instead of music while running.

I think I know what you mean by “ABC.” Yeah, I suspect a number of us have done it from time to time. I knew I wouldn’t be able to get a workout in that day (I was traveling halfway across the country), so I just carried my 30-pound bag around with me everywhere in the airports, switching it from hand to hand as necessary. I took the long way around one airport terminal just to make sure I got enough time on my feet with the thing. Call it a “long-distance farmer’s carry” if you like.

You seem to be hitting the hills pretty hard. Not on purpose: the one flat course I like to run has been closed lately, so I’ve been forced to get on more hilly courses. And the new location I’ll be in for the next week is jam-packed with hills, so I suppose it’s been good preparation.

Did you read that new Bruce Lee biography? I just finished it, actually (it came out in paperback last week). It’s painstakingly researched; I learned a lot from it. The author harps a little too much for my tastes on contemporary grievance issues (some of which I downright disagree with him on), but for the most part it’s an enlightening biopic.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 10
Body weight: ??? (no scale in my current location)
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, DB = dumbbell, BB = barbell, NB = nose breathing, SBike = stationary bike, BP = bench press

Day 1: Easy+ Run, very hilly, 9.8 mil 1:12:50
Day 2 I: 1x5x135 BP, 5x4xBW pull-ups, various minor exercises
Day 2 II: Jog, undulating, 2.7 mil 28:52
Day 3 I: Easy+ Run, three hills, 7.1 mil 53:13
Day 3 II: Jog 3.06 mil 31:36
Day 4 I: Easy Run, two hills, 5.5 mil 42:49
Day 4 II: Easy Run, two hills, 3.5 mil 29:07
Day 5: Easy Run, undulating+, 8.03 mil 1:01:19
Day 6: Easy+ Run, three hills, 8.0 mil 1:01:27
Day 7: Easy+ Run, one hill, 5.1 mil 38:39

Mileage for the week: 52.7 mil

[Mileage, day 7 last week to day 6 this week: 54.6]

“It is wise to run supplementary miles at an easy pace, as many as you can, in addition to the schedules [100 miles per week] presented here." –Arthur Lydiard

You. Are. Nuts. Probably. But I’ll explain myself anyway.

I spent this past week in a different location, and I knew coming into it that the weather would be perfect for running; that I’d have more downtime than usual; that there might be someone to run with in the afternoons; and that I’d be able to get plenty of food and rest.

Perfect time for a high-mileage week.

Of course, you have to be careful. The afternoon jogs I did with friends were very slow but still effective for base-building. I brought along a couple compression sleeves for old knee and plantar fasciitis injuries, just in case they flared up (which they did, so I’m glad I brought the sleeves). I ate an extra 500 – 1,000 calories a day. I backed off when I sensed that I was reaching “full capacity;” e.g., I didn’t do a second run on day 5. And I got a lot of rest.

One of my main goals with this high-mileage week was to see what I might be capable of in terms of this summer’s base building phase. I now have an idea, assuming that I recover well. It’s also worth noting that a single high-mileage week could do more harm than good if the costs (injury, fatigue, etc.) outweigh the benefits. I kept that in mind during the week and adjusted accordingly (e.g., just a single short run on day 7).

You’re bench pressing again? Sure, why not? It’s good for a change of pace, and to keep some basic upper-body strength as the miles start to pile up.

So, base building is next? Not quite yet. I want to do an “end of season” time trial (as I mentioned last week) to see where I’m at. Once I’ve got that number, I’ll contemplate base building.

I’m guessing you’re going to tell us what you’re reading. You usually ask, so yeah, I’m prepared. I enjoyed Vince Flynn’s American Assassin so much that I picked up the sequel, Kill Shot. Now that was a fantastic thriller! Highly recommended. Among Flynn's work, second only to Consent to Kill, as far as I'm concerned.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 11
Body weight: 165 lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, SBike = stationary bike, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate

Day 1: BP 1x3x155; 5x4xBW pull-ups; various other exercises; 30 mins SBike
Day 2 I: TRK 1-mile 6:18; 4 mil total
Day 2 II: Jog TM 4.0 mil 38:54 AHR 133 HR1 97
Day 3 I: 4 x 100m strides; 3.3 mil total
Day 3 II: Jog TM 3.1 mil 30:16 HR1 90
Day 4: Easy Run, one hill, 4.2 mil 34:21
Day 5: SBike 30 mins (8.6 mil) AHR 94
Day 6: 6.5K race; light rain, humid, warm, small hills; 26:08; 6.5 mil total
Day 7 I: Easy+ Run, one hill, 6.1 mil 48:30
Day 7 II: BP 1x5x145, Calf machine 1x16x320, 5x4xBW pull-ups, 16 mins SBike

Mileage for the week: 31 (+76 mins SBike)

How'd that 6.5K race (day 6) go? Considering the conditions, I was happy with it. Given all my recent experience with hills, the small ones on this course didn't faze me too much, which was heartening. I think there were around 200 runners; I finished in the top 10 overall and won my age group--again, not really remarkable, considering how small the race was.

You had a different pre-race strategy this time, it seems? Yes: I did the one-mile time trial (which means you run it comfortably hard, no more) on day 2, followed by the strides on day 3, and then no running the day before the race (though I did sit on the SBike for a while at a very, very low AHR).
Did it "work"? Yes and no: my legs felt wonderful during the race, but they were a little too jumpy or wired. Next time I'll try a slightly more intense SBike the day before the race or a super-easy TM jog.

You gained a couple pounds?! Yes, and there are at least three reasons for that. One: during the 50+ mile week last week, I ate quite a bit more than usual so I wouldn't crash and burn. Two: whenever I start lifting weights for max strength, I gain body weight. Happens every time--even if it's only one work set of BP. Three: I've been doing a lot of hill running, which strengthens the legs and can lead to an increase in body weight. My pants are fitting the same, so I'm not too concerned.

Why did you take an AHR reading on day 2 II? I wanted to make sure that running at that slow of a pace was actually doing me some good. That AHR falls at about 61% of my maximum heart rate (by the Karvonen formula), so it's ideal for a super-easy jog that actually grants you some training benefits.

You haven't taken a day off in a while...Don't burn yourself out, man. Yeah, I know--thanks. I've got a lot of energy right now for some reason, so I'm letting it flow. Also, I've been going to bed much earlier than usual and have been sleeping well: 9, sometimes 10, hours a night. That helps.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 12 (Race recovery week)
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, SBike = stationary bike, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, TE = total elevation

Day 1: Hilly Run, 644 ft. TE, 8.1 mil 1:05:00
Day 2: Easy+ Run, one hill, 6.1 mil 47:08
Day 4: Easy+ Run, two hills, 9.1 mil 1:09:48
Day 5: Easy+ Run, two hills, 10-18mph winds, rain, 6.2 mil 47:10
Day 6 I: Easy+ Run, two hills, windy, 5.2 mil 40:14
Day 6 II: BP 1x5x140, pull-ups 3x5xBW, various other (minor) exercises
Day 7: Stamina Run, light rain, 3.0 mil in 21:32; 5.2 mil total

Mileage for the week: 40

What's with this "Easy+" notation? Basically it's to remind me that I pushed my aerobic pace as much as I could without going into stamina territory. Usually that's a matter of breathing for me; if it starts to get labored at all, I'm probably in stamina territory, so I slow things down a bit.

Is doing a hilly run like your day 1 listed here advisable after a race? Not really; it was a mistake on my part, as I took a side route into territory I don't normally run in, and I found myself among some hefty hills. That error was one of the factors that led to the complete rest day on day 3.

How's that low-volume BP going? Great. It fits in very well with my whole routine: I'm not at all sore from it, and the single work set takes some effort but isn't an all-out effort. I'll be very interested to see if/how it progresses. To make sure I don't stagnate, I'm varying the weight every time I lift (e.g., 135, 150, 140, etc.).

How or when (if at all) did you know you'd recovered from last week's race? Days 1 through 4 were a bit of a slog: my times were slower, and running required more effort, even at a slower pace. On day 5, however, everything started clicking again, despite the rough conditions; I actually ended that run with a mile in the stamina pace range. Day 6's run was a recovery from that, and on day 7 I was ready to try a workout, which went well for getting back into faster running.

What's next? I'm thinking about ending this season with a race on July 4th. No one expects a good race time on that day--it's invariably hot, indubitably humid, and one's training is generally not in a "peak" state. But hey, it's July 4th. And with my family's summer plans, it will fit in nicely. If I decide to do that, I'll take this next week to put some finishing touches on my fitness.

Did you ever finish the Jane Hawk series? I did! The Night Window was the fifth and final installment of Dean Koontz's "military thriller" / suspense hybrid series. I very much enjoyed it, as I usually appreciate his fiction. I marked several lines throughout the novel that I considered sharp insights into human nature, which Koontz seems to write consistently well.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 13
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, SBike = stationary bike, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell

Day 1: Long Run, windy, two hills, 9.1 mil 1:09:54
Day 2: Rest (strep throat)
Day 3: SE 2x20 with 50-lb KB: swing, rows, push-ups
Day 4: TRK 2 x 1600m (6:09, 6:19) with 800m jog in between; 5 mil total
Day 5: Jog TM 4.0 mil 35:04 HR1 102
Day 6 I: TRK warm, humid, Tempo Run 5.0 mil in 34:41; 7 mil total
Day 6 II: BP 1x4x155; pull-ups 3x5xBW; various other minor exercises
Day 7: Easy Run TM 4.2 mil 32:27 HR1 107

Mileage for the week: 29.3

You got strep throat?!? I know!! I haven't had that since, like, 3rd grade or something. Apparently there was some kind of "gather all ye teens from around the nation and learneth thee" conference here in town over the past couple weeks, so maybe that's how it spread around here. My doc said there had been a lot of cases of it recently. Weird--but I'll just swallow the antibiotics and move on.

Interesting track workouts you had this week. Yeah, I'm trying something a little different in case I hop in a race next week. The 2 x 1600m gauges speed-endurance; my dropping ten seconds on the second interval doesn't bode well for maintaining anything faster than 6:22 pace (6:19 + 3 seconds to bring a 1600m up to a full mile). Based on that workout, I did the day 6 tempo at about 30 seconds slower per mile (and of those 5 miles, I ran 4.75 at 6:52 pace, give or take a second) to practice lactate threshold pace, which will be useful in a longer race.

What are these "various other minor exercises" you do? Oh, like a single set of upright row to make sure my medial delts are getting some attention; or some "heels to the sky" lower ab reps--minor stuff that like not really worth noting.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 14
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, SBike = stationary bike, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation

Day 1: TRK 1-mile in 6:25; 4 mil total
Day 2: Easy Run 4.1 mil 32:43
Day 4: 6.3K race (i.e., long 10K), very humid, two hills, 40:40; 8.8 mil total
Day 5: Recovery Run, one hill, 5.4 mil 44:20
Day 6: Hilly Run, 400 ft. TE, 8.1 mil 1:01:52
Day 7: Easy Run, one hill, 5.1 mil 40:16

Mileage for the week: 35.5

Thought you died. That can be a handy perk in Fallout New Vegas, but no, just because I don't post for a month doesn't mean something quite so dramatic. I simply had very limited Internet access the past few weeks. Time to catch up.

How did you feel about that long 10K race on day 4? It was not my best race. I tried something new with my pre-race nutrition, and it didn't work at all. No sense going into the details, but I'll simply reiterate what KBlack has said in his books several times: be sure to eat enough high-quality carbs.
I did like that it was a competitive race, though: there were several hundred runners, and there were at least two runners older than I who finished ahead of me. Nonetheless, I finished in the top 25 and (absurdly) won an age group award.

Since your 10K in December was roughly equivalent in pace to the one you ran this week, do you sense that you've plateaued? No, for one simple reason: running at the same pace in weather that's twenty degrees hotter is progress. The proof of this--assuming that I don't lose fitness in the meantime--will be a faster pace when the weather cools off. That's usually the cycle of things--or at least one way the cycles can work out.

What's next? The annual family vacation is about a week away. Right before we leave for that, there's a local 5K I may jump into just for the fun of it; it's benefiting a good cause, too. I might experiment with pre-race eating, etc., to try some new things out.