Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Maxrip13 »

29/4/21

BJJ Gi Midday and BJJ evening No gi
Half guard and dog fight

Adski

Post by Adski »

Hey mate, how are you finding the unilateral work and OP/IA at the moment?

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

quote="Adski"]Hey mate, how are you finding the unilateral work and OP/IA at the moment?[/quote]

I am really enjoying it and recovering much better as a result. Life is continuing to get in the way, but by moving away from back squats I feel much better. My warm ups can be shorter and I can lift before BJJ if needed. I will probably swap out bench-press also soon for dumbbell or kettlebell presses. My home dumbbells only go to 20kg and my adjustable kettlebells are a touch hard to adjust between sets but go to 32kg. I have used a vest to add weight but it gets in the way on depth.
I think I will limit myself to a 10kg weightvest soon for pullups and focus on reps. No work testing requires me to go past 10 kg of added weight. I wish I was game to do one handed pullups instead, but I have injured myself in the past using them.

I basically use OP I/a permanently now and I really like the version grouchy put together for me. I think I will slowly just stick to unilateral stuff 85% of the time now. My days of chasing big numbers have been over for a long time and I can maintain a double bodyweight squat with minimal training. I am better of doing a short 6 week peaking and grooving cycle and just testing my squat once a year or so instead.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Op I/A Strength Session 85%

Strength session 7

Bulgarian DB Split Squat 40kg total,10kg DB and 10kg vest 3x3 es
Benchpress 80kg 3x3
Weighted pullup 15kg 3x3

Shoulder complex

Adski

Post by Adski »

Ah that sounds good. With pressing, would dips be achieveable? I only say this as I find that dips are another exercise that doesn’t require much warm up time.
OP/IA is definitely a good pick if one were to choose a somewhat “for life” template.

The recovery and feeling fresh part is definitely something I feel becomes more important as time goes on, especially with family, sports and work all in the mix.

Sounds like you’re going really well which is awesome! Cheers for the response.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Op I/A Strength Session 85%

Strength session 8

Bulgarian DB Split Squat 40kg total,20kg dumbbells 3x3 es
Benchpress 80kg 3x3
Deadlift 100kg 1x3

Shoulder complex 3kg

Bjj no gi evening
Half guard pass and counters

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

quote="Adski"]Ah that sounds good. With pressing, would dips be achieveable? I only say this as I find that dips are another exercise that doesn’t require much warm up time.
OP/IA is definitely a good pick if one were to choose a somewhat “for life” template.

The recovery and feeling fresh part is definitely something I feel becomes more important as time goes on, especially with family, sports and work all in the mix.

Sounds like you’re going really well which is awesome! Cheers for the response.[/quote]

Dips are an option especially on rings, but I find bench press nicer on my shoulders long term. I use a grip just outside the inner knurling by about a cm for shoulder health. Dips always lead to a bit of pain after a period as the weight gets higher.

I think I just feel like doing an 8 week cycle with some purely unilateral work just for fun. I would normally use kettlebells, but just signed up to a multi gym pass with my partner, have a gym with mostly dumbbells at work and have access to a good gym at BJJ. Between all these gyms dumbbells are guaranteed so I know I can always get my training in.

I can easily do strength training before BJJ if I use dumbbells for my lower body exercises where as I notice back squats always tax me negatively. I want to see if this carries over to upper body exercises also.

I love OP I/A. I think it is the best template in TB. I can easily change things to basically operator and fighter on the fly when I need.

Cheers mate. I am trying to get the time to look through other peoples logs like I used to. I think the reddit is more active than the forums these days sadly.