Rucking

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Conor78

Rucking

Post by Conor78 »

Now it's getting cold I'm considering using some rucking at the weekends. Previously I wrapped a 20 kg weight plate on tape and then put it into a rucknack. The ruck sack has started to rip after one use. Has anyone any recommendations for a ruck and has anyone used kettlebells in the ruck??
Thanks

Kinetic

Re: Rucking

Post by Kinetic »

This thread might help. Also, try wrapping the KB in blankets or towels, not tape.

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=8&t=150

Conor78

Post by Conor78 »

Cheers, thanks for that will check that out

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Use red bricks and duct tape them together. A lot more forgiving. You can tape a yoga block on the bottom to make them sit higher. Then you can progress by adding bricks (1 brick = 5#).

lennarn

Post by lennarn »

Tape a towel or something else soft around your weight. I used a weighted vest with soft weights the last time I rucked. Hard/sharp edges will rip packs.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Make a sand pill. Here is the easy way:

Go to the garden section at Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc. Buy the following:
1. Bag of filler (pebbles, sand, whatever) that weighs enough. Lava rocks are lighter, pebbles/sand are heavier.
2. Contractor trash bags. The thick ones.
3. Roll of gorilla tape.

By using different fillers, you can make several pills of different weights but with approximately equal dimensions.

Directions (super high speed stuff here)
1. Put the bag of pebbles inside the contractor bag.
2. Wrap, compress, etc. the contractor bag around the bag of pebbles.
3. Wrap the package with gorilla tape. Wrap it tight. Use a lot of tape. Cover the entire bag.

If you want to be extremely precise with the weight, put loose sand in a contractor trash bag. Weigh the bag as you go, until you get the weight you want. Then tape it up as directed.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Road Salt is cheap as well seen forty pound bags for six dollars today. Probably chuck it in a heavy duty garbage bag like was mentioned.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

All good suggestions. I just prefer bricks as when they get wet they don't tend to absorb water and start to smell.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:All good suggestions. I just prefer bricks as when they get wet they don't tend to absorb water and start to smell.
And they are free if you grab the scraps left behind at a construction site. My neighborhood was leaving so many behind after they finished a home I couldn't help but take them home to give them a purpose.

Wfd144

Post by Wfd144 »

I was able to acquire 50' of old fire hose. it weighs just over 30# and it fills the pack up so the weight is not just sitting on the bottom.