Winter is coming (indoor conditioning question)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Mindboozer

Winter is coming (indoor conditioning question)

Post by Mindboozer »

Hey guys,

I'm starting my first Base Building (first ever TB block actually) this week and I've been a little worried about being unable to run outside for LSS. Unfortunately, I live in the Great White North (Canada) and winter is coming... which means fewer hours of daylight (when I'm confined to an office) and various combinations of mud, slush, ice, and snow on the ground making conditioning outside pretty impractical. Hopefully, I'll be able to get outside for a run/ruck on the weekends, but that still leaves the bulk of my LSS to the treadmill. I was concerned about using a treadmill until I read this article [http://oeshshoes.com/2014/01/my-scienti ... -training/].

What do you guys think about doing most LSS on the treadmill? Also, suggestions for good indoor HICs would be very much appreciated!

Barkadion

Re: Winter is coming (indoor conditioning question)

Post by Barkadion »

Mindboozer wrote:Hey guys,

I'm starting my first Base Building (first ever TB block actually) this week and I've been a little worried about being unable to run outside for LSS. Unfortunately, I live in the Great White North (Canada) and winter is coming... which means fewer hours of daylight (when I'm confined to an office) and various combinations of mud, slush, ice, and snow on the ground making conditioning outside pretty impractical. Hopefully, I'll be able to get outside for a run/ruck on the weekends, but that still leaves the bulk of my LSS to the treadmill. I was concerned about using a treadmill until I read this article [http://oeshshoes.com/2014/01/my-scienti ... -training/].

What do you guys think about doing most LSS on the treadmill? Also, suggestions for good indoor HICs would be very much appreciated!
Speaking of indoor LSS.. My favorite is triple: Airbike, step-ups, shadow boxing. 10min each x 3. Airbike can be substituted with treadmill, rope skipping, etc.

My wife suggested to me once to clean the whole house non-stop with wearing HR. Can be good idea too! :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Mindboozer wrote:Hey guys,

I'd rather not do the bulk of my LSS on a treadmill (but only because I love running outdoors), but if that's the only safe option, you'll need to go with it. As far as indoor HIC sessions go, Meateater II, Fobbit Intervals, and Indoor Power Intervals are all on my list. Consider also Disarmed and Devil's Trinity, if you can get a heavy bag.

mtguy1976

Post by mtguy1976 »

I usually use rowing as my go to for HIC during the crappy weather. Like Black on Oxygen I just replace the run with the row, sucks just as bad :shock:
Buffalo Laps and BOO II are just as nasty

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

What province? I'm in Ottawa - and so I feel you RE: the outdoor LSS. ;) The bone chilling wind is worse than the ice and snow in my opinion, but I suppose it builds character!

I find sprints and intervals are more tolerable then longer runs when using a treadmill. You can also create intense conditioning sessions with just your bodyweight, or even a few dumb/bar/kettle bells. I love creating new circuits. Finally, a good heavy kettlebell can be your best friend when you're stuc inside all winter.

Mindboozer

Post by Mindboozer »

Thanks for the great suggestions guys!
My wife suggested to me once to clean the whole house non-stop with wearing HR. Can be good idea too!
Throw in some 12oz curls and you have a fun and rewarding workout!
What province? I'm in Ottawa - and so I feel you RE: the outdoor LSS. ;) The bone chilling wind is worse than the ice and snow in my opinion, but I suppose it builds character
Southern Ontario so not quite as cold as Ottawa. Its the lack of daylight hours that's the problem for me. I live in a rural area so running at night is a good way to end up as roadkill!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Mindboozer wrote:Thanks for the great suggestions guys!
My wife suggested to me once to clean the whole house non-stop with wearing HR. Can be good idea too!
Throw in some 12oz curls and you have a fun and rewarding workout!

Hahaha :lol:

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Fobbit Intervals have become my go-to indoor HIC. I use it for E too....slow the treadmill right down so I'm going a little faster than a shuffle, use a very light KB, and go for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:Fobbit Intervals have become my go-to indoor HIC. I use it for E too....slow the treadmill right down so I'm going a little faster than a shuffle, use a very light KB, and go for a minimum of 30 minutes.
This is a great idea. I am loving fobbits for HIC. Adjusting it for E is irresistible option!

Thanks.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

I remember reading in Built to Endure that running at 1% incline is the best approximation of running outside. Take it for what it is worth though.