Re: mikhou's training log

Post by mikhou »

60 minute E run

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

WCU - 5x5 @ 71.6kg
DL - 3x5 @ 86.5kg

I'm doing BB with Fighter and the once per week DL option. However, on my recovery day, I have been doing 5 sets of WCUs so that I hit those 2x each week. This week, I know that I am limited on time later this week so I added in my DLs today and will only hit SQ/BP later in the week for a very short session.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

60 minute E run

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

How do you feel your running has progressed during this Base Building block? See any difference?

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

grouchyjarhead wrote:How do you feel your running has progressed during this Base Building block? See any difference?
To answer your question, let me give you a little background. Many years ago, I was really into distance running and ran some marathons. Even as few as 3 years ago, I trained for and ran a half-marathon and set a PR. I have attempted to maintain my conditioning over the past couple of years while simultaneously trying to build my strength. Could I go out and run a half-marathon near my PR right now? No, but I'm not out of shape either. My point in saying all of that is to say that I know how to pace myself and I know how to push "past the pain" on a long run. So I'm not the guy who is coming to BB for the first time trying to get in shape. I am already reasonably fit.

Okay, so with that long explanation behind me, here is how BB has gone so far. I had done a BB a year ago using Operator and just running easy. It went okay, but I knew that next time, I wanted to step even further away from strength training in order to really focus on aerobic conditioning, and I would accomplish this by using Fighter, instead of Operator. So the 2 changes that I have made this time are 1) using Fighter, instead of Operator and 2) using a HRM to monitor my pace/HR. I can tell you that I have run noticeably slower than last BB (on purpose). The results have been very good, and I would say better than last time. I notice that when I start out there is a spring and a freshness in my step that I haven't felt for awhile. I have also noticed that my pace has increased while my HR has stayed in the target range. Again, I was not out of shape before, but I do believe that my aerobic conditioning has improved. I think that the true test will be when I start incorporating some HIC in a few weeks to see how that increased capacity carries over to anaerobic work.

The only thing that I am undecided on in my continuation protocol is whether or not to go with Black Pro and try to keep doing an E run weekly or to go with Black Standard and do an E run every 2 weeks. Distance running is not a focus for me anymore, but I don't want to "lose" the aerobic capacity that I have built, and I'm pretty sure that I don't want to have to BB more than once per year either as I want to keep working on increased strength. I'd appreciate any feedback that you have.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Makes sense, glad to see your new plan of attack seems to be working well now. It's good to see someone with your background sharing their views on it and how you modified it to work better for you.

My personal opinion, Black Pro would be ideal for you considering your goals. I am planning on rotating in Black Pro here in April for the same reasons - I like to have at least one E day a week as I feel it suits me better.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I am planning on rotating in Black Pro here in April for the same reasons - I like to have at least one E day a week as I feel it suits me better.
What do you think about having Fobbit versions (from new KB articles) under 30min in place of HIC once a week? Wouldn't it be good compromise?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky