Quick Hit - Magnesium & HIC (Take your magnesium!!!)

DocOctagon

Quick Hit - Magnesium & HIC (Take your magnesium!!!)

Post by DocOctagon »

Short but brilliant vid from Dr. Rhonda Patrck on the importance of magnesium for HIIT/HIC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWBCnVMoFZA

Jefferson

Re: Quick Hit - Magnesium & HIC (Take your magnesium!!!)

Post by Jefferson »

Magnesium glycinate is a staple for me. Usually take 200mgs with lunch and 200mgs with dinner. If I smash an especially hard workout I might take a bit more.

Conor78

Post by Conor78 »

Is magnesium spray just as effective

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Conor78 wrote:Is magnesium spray just as effective
Not sure. I imagine it wouldn't be much different from Epsom salts.

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Don't waste your money with a spray. Get magnesium glycinate or magnesium malate. Or both.

And for the record I do like epsom salt baths, but the research about the efficacy of magnesium from bath to blood stream is pretty thin.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Jefferson wrote:Don't waste your money with a spray. Get magnesium glycinate or magnesium malate. Or both.

And for the record I do like epsom salt baths, but the research about the efficacy of magnesium from bath to blood stream is pretty thin.

Don't tell me that... I love my boiling hot epsom salt baths. Placebo effect>scientifically backed studies everyday of the week provided it's cheap haha. :D

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Anyone else find magnesium energizing? If I take it too close to bedtime it keeps me up. I'm using malate.

ISPRocky

Post by ISPRocky »

Should I be taking a potassium/magnesium aspartate supplement if I am planning on taking ZMA?

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

BlackPyjamas wrote:Anyone else find magnesium energizing? If I take it too close to bedtime it keeps me up. I'm using malate.
Yep, magnesium can be energizing. Depends on the form as well. For example glycinate is usually conducive to drowsiness. People react differently to supps.

Your best bet is to take it a little earlier in the evening, around 6pm or before if it continues to be a problem.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

ISPRocky wrote:Should I be taking a potassium/magnesium aspartate supplement if I am planning on taking ZMA?
Not necessary. Magnesium itself helps with increasing/absorbing potassium. As long as you're diet's not totally unbalanced or deficient you'll be fine.