Green protocol/ 40 mpw running

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TangoZero

Re: Green protocol/ 40 mpw running

Post by TangoZero »

Rackem88 wrote:So I am working on getting my mileage up to 30 mpw on 4 days running per week. Roughly following Pfitz guide to base building, which typically has 1 long run, 2 aerobic runs and 1 speed work run (either Tempo or strides), roughly the idea of the Green protocol.

So what I am wondering is if following a specific running plan like Pfitz or Jack Daniels is conducive for the tactical athlete. These books/methods seem to be aimed at specifically runners and not necessarily at someone whose running ability is only a piece of their overall physical ability.
Well on one hand you have a program designed for cross-training tactical athletes. On the other you have specialized running plans that don't take into account other domains. To me it seems pretty clear-cut. Which category do you fall into?

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Rackem88 wrote:So I am working on getting my mileage up to 30 mpw on 4 days running per week. Roughly following Pfitz guide to base building, which typically has 1 long run, 2 aerobic runs and 1 speed work run (either Tempo or strides), roughly the idea of the Green protocol.

So what I am wondering is if following a specific running plan like Pfitz or Jack Daniels is conducive for the tactical athlete. These books/methods seem to be aimed at specifically runners and not necessarily at someone whose running ability is only a piece of their overall physical ability.
Other than what you decide to call it is there really any difference? I'm not familiar with either running plan, but it sounds like both of those would fall within Green protocol standards. Long run, aerobic run, all belong in the E category. Tempo or speedwork is always recommended after Base regardless of Continuation protocol... I don't see the issue.

Rackem88

Post by Rackem88 »

TangoZero wrote:

Well on one hand you have a program designed for cross-training tactical athletes. On the other you have specialized running plans that don't take into account other domains. To me it seems pretty clear-cut. Which category do you fall into?
For myself, I need to perform across multiple domains. At this point I know I'm nuking this and I do realize that the running specific workouts in TB2 would probably bring me close to where I need to be for running.

I don't need to be an elite runner but still must be proficient at it (i.e. <20 min 3 mile). Seeing how runners specifically train for a 5k seemed like a good way to approach this. However you are right in that these methods probably don't take into account someone who is also incorporating heavy lifting at the same time.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Rackem88 wrote:
TangoZero wrote:

For myself, I need to perform across multiple domains. At this point I know I'm nuking this and I do realize that the running specific workouts in TB2 would probably bring me close to where I need to be for running.

I don't need to be an elite runner but still must be proficient at it (i.e. <20 min 3 mile). Seeing how runners specifically train for a 5k seemed like a good way to approach this. However you are right in that these methods probably don't take into account someone who is also incorporating heavy lifting at the same time.
Do the running programs fall outside Green/Black guidelines or clash with any of the TB principles?

Rackem88

Post by Rackem88 »

The only difference I see between Green/Black and these running specific programs is the number of what we would call HIC/E sessions. Pfitz base building program to reach 30 miles per week mirrors Green. Running 4x a week, 2 medium distance Aerobic pace, 1 long distance, and 1 HIC (Strides or Tempo). Once you move into a race specific programs, there are typically 2-3 HIC sessions, 2-3 E sessions, and 1 Long run session. So the volume definitely increases. If you are also lifting heavy 2-3 times a week, recovery might become a little difficult.

My mistake was getting a little overzealous about the programming, thinking the best way to achieve results is to combine the best programs. When in reality, in order to balance multiple domains I need a balanced approach.

This is just a long way of saying I now realize Green protocol is just fine for what I'm trying to achieve.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Rackem88 wrote:The only difference I see between Green/Black and these running specific programs is the number of what we would call HIC/E sessions. Pfitz base building program to reach 30 miles per week mirrors Green. Running 4x a week, 2 medium distance Aerobic pace, 1 long distance, and 1 HIC (Strides or Tempo). Once you move into a race specific programs, there are typically 2-3 HIC sessions, 2-3 E sessions, and 1 Long run session. So the volume definitely increases. If you are also lifting heavy 2-3 times a week, recovery might become a little difficult.

My mistake was getting a little overzealous about the programming, thinking the best way to achieve results is to combine the best programs. When in reality, in order to balance multiple domains I need a balanced approach.

This is just a long way of saying I now realize Green protocol is just fine for what I'm trying to achieve.
Makes sense. I can see how the volume during the race-specific phase of the program could be overkill. It sounds like you're doing 6-7 days a week of running at that point. If you're able to AM/PM it, you could add a bare bones Fighter template. Two exercises twice a week with minimal sets. Of course the strength would take a back-seat to the running, until the program's over at any rate.

Rackem88

Post by Rackem88 »

Balaclava wrote:
Rackem88 wrote:The only difference I see between Green/Black and these running specific programs is the number of what we would call HIC/E sessions. Pfitz base building program to reach 30 miles per week mirrors Green. Running 4x a week, 2 medium distance Aerobic pace, 1 long distance, and 1 HIC (Strides or Tempo). Once you move into a race specific programs, there are typically 2-3 HIC sessions, 2-3 E sessions, and 1 Long run session. So the volume definitely increases. If you are also lifting heavy 2-3 times a week, recovery might become a little difficult.

Makes sense. I can see how the volume during the race-specific phase of the program could be overkill. It sounds like you're doing 6-7 days a week of running at that point. If you're able to AM/PM it, you could add a bare bones Fighter template. Two exercises twice a week with minimal sets. Of course the strength would take a back-seat to the running, until the program's over at any rate.
If you were going to get into a serious running program then choosing a Cluster that requires lower intensity might help. Instead of back squat/bench Cluster, go to front squat/OHP. I think this is outlined in one of the examples in TB1. Different variation uses less weight and reduces the intensity allowing for better recovery for the conditioning workouts. Could even take it a step further and move to a KB program like Simple and Sinister.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Yeah, definitely. The "grunt" cluster.