LE Physical Fitness Test Help/Advice

MxS/SE/HIC/E
spemma

LE Physical Fitness Test Help/Advice

Post by spemma »

Hi all - new to the forum and did a little searching, but couldn't find anything related to my specific situation.

I was informed i will be taking a physical fitness test for a law enforcement group in the next couple of weeks. The test consists of:
  • 1-minute max sit-ups
  • 300m sprint
  • Max push-ups (no time)
  • 1.5 mile run
I did a self-screener of the test a few weeks ago and got a passing score, with my runs being the lowest scores (1pt in each out of 10pts per event). I can max out points on my sit-ups and my push-ups are a solid mid-level score (5pts on a 10pt scale). I started TBII, BB immediately after and I'm in week 3 right now, following it exactly as prescribed. My aerobic base (cardiac hypertrophy) is an issue, thus TBII and BB.

Couple questions I'm hoping you could help me with:
  • Should i keep doing BB as prescribed?
  • If not, what would the suggestion be?
Some more background - I've been a long time lifter, 5'10", 200lbs, ~15% bf, and endurance running was never my strong suit. The BB does seem to be helping though.

I'm pretty positive I could pass the test straight-up again if I had to take it tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for me.

TangoZero

Re: LE Physical Fitness Test Help/Advice

Post by TangoZero »

When is your PFT, what date?

What was your 1.5 mile time?

The best preparation is to run a full Base Building block followed by Continuation. During Continuation you would add speed work/tempo runs. LSS is just one small piece of the puzzle, it's not a cure-all. It's crucial that you get in some speed work.

Seeing as you're strapped for time I'd start incorporating some 2-3 mile tempo runs. Mix it up. Do one LSS run, + 2 tempo runs a week. It's not going to be as effective as doing full Base + Cont. but it's better than ignoring speed work completely.

Another tip, practice doing your events back to back with little rest (5-10 minutes). Your numbers are going to be different when you're fatigued on test day.

Finally, make sure you rest and do nothing 2-3 days out from the test.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

What did you clock your 1.5 at? Tango's given you some great advice, but knowing your run time would help with specifics.

spemma

Post by spemma »

PFT date is not determined, but stated as "next few weeks". I'm assuming 3-4 weeks, but could be more or less.

My 1.5 mile time in the self-administered test was ~12:10. I almost died though :lol: . I did run the test exactly as stated with timed rest intervals.

My 300m was 52.2, and I was pretty gassed from that.

Are you saying LSS run, + 2 tempo runs + SE work = 5 workout days/week? Or LSS run + 2 tempo runs = 3 workout days/week?

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

spemma wrote:PFT date is not determined, but stated as "next few weeks". I'm assuming 3-4 weeks, but could be more or less.

My 1.5 mile time in the self-administered test was ~12:10. I almost died though :lol: . I did run the test exactly as stated with timed rest intervals.

My 300m was 52.2, and I was pretty gassed from that.

Are you saying LSS run, + 2 tempo runs + SE work = 5 workout days/week? Or LSS run + 2 tempo runs = 3 workout days/week?
Okay, yeah that run time could use a lot of improvement. Unfortunately you don't have enough time to really whittle it down, but some improvement is better than nothing. If I were you I'd forget about traditional base building, you don't have the time. Piggybacking on Tango I'd go with this every week....

1 x LISS (Aim for 45-60mins. Minimum 45minutes)
2 x Fast5
1 x 600m Resets or Hills

That's on top of the regular SE work. If you absolutely have to sacrifice one of your runs (you shouldn't), then drop the Resets. Keep the LISS and Fast5s.

spemma

Post by spemma »

Thank you to you both. A few follow-up questions:

-Are the Fast5 considered tempo runs? I did one this morning at the suggested 80-85% heart rate per the book.
-What would my SE work be? Continue from BB, or something else? Also, what is the suggested frequency?
-I will follow the 1 x LISS, 2 x Fast5, and 1x600m Resets, which = 4 workouts >> does that mean +2 SE, so 6 workouts per week?
-Should I practice the test at all over the coming weeks, or just focus on the above? If so, would a test day just replace the Resets?

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

spemma wrote:Thank you to you both. A few follow-up questions:

-Are the Fast5 considered tempo runs? I did one this morning at the suggested 80-85% heart rate per the book.
-What would my SE work be? Continue from BB, or something else? Also, what is the suggested frequency?
-I will follow the 1 x LISS, 2 x Fast5, and 1x600m Resets, which = 4 workouts >> does that mean +2 SE, so 6 workouts per week?
-Should I practice the test at all over the coming weeks, or just focus on the above? If so, would a test day just replace the Resets?
Yes, Fast5 are considered Tempo runs. You just don't have to keep it at 5K. For your 1.5 run, I would keep it up to 2 miles or so or at 1.5. Opinions may differ here.

For SE, are you asking how to incorporate it or what actual exercises should you use? If its the former, I would do maybe twice a week? If its the ladder, I would do exercises that will be on your PFT (Push ups, sit ups, Pull ups?) and do some core work.

1 LSS, 1 or 2 Fast 5s and 1 600m reset or speed work of any kind would be good, probably.

If you wanted to practice the test, I would at the end of the block IF you have the time or practice when you can. Again, opinion may differ here. I think it depends on recovery.
Get after it!

spemma

Post by spemma »

nickgoldma wrote:
spemma wrote:Thank you to you both. A few follow-up questions:

Yes, Fast5 are considered Tempo runs. You just don't have to keep it at 5K. For your 1.5 run, I would keep it up to 2 miles or so or at 1.5. Opinions may differ here.

For SE, are you asking how to incorporate it or what actual exercises should you use? If its the former, I would do maybe twice a week? If its the ladder, I would do exercises that will be on your PFT (Push ups, sit ups, Pull ups?) and do some core work.

1 LSS, 1 or 2 Fast 5s and 1 600m reset or speed work of any kind would be good, probably.

If you wanted to practice the test, I would at the end of the block IF you have the time or practice when you can. Again, opinion may differ here. I think it depends on recovery.
thanks for the response.

i meant how to incorporate the SE. since during BB the SE are on their own days, i'm wondering if that should be the case in Balaclava's prescribed routine. it just feels like a lot of workout days for me at 4 E and HIC and then an additional 2 SE. but i'm coming from a weightlifting world mindset. also i do BJJ 2-3x/week, so i do worry about recovery.

as a side note, but related imo, i previously used Stew Smith's routine for prep and to be honest, i never shaved much time off my 1.5 mile run times. i don't know why that was - i did it as prescribed and put in serious effort, and i know that many had success with it. he had a lot of 6x400s, 12x200s, 3x800s - could that contribute? that feels similar to the 600m resets, but reading the description the resets per TBII they appear to max effort vs goal pace for the splits ala Stew Smith - dunno if that matters.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

spemma wrote: -Should I practice the test at all over the coming weeks, or just focus on the above? If so, would a test day just replace the Resets?
Regular practice is vital to long term PFT success. Practice allows you to gauge your training success and inoculates you against test anxiety. But, if you have two weeks, it is what it is. You don't have time to practice. You have to prepare as best you can.

Stew Smith has a free article/program called "15 Days Away from the PFT." It might help you.

How did the PFT sneak up on you like this? I'm asking so other applicants can learn from the situation. Usually MIL/LEO applicants know far in advance when they will have to take a PFT.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

spemma

Post by spemma »

close_fox wrote:
spemma wrote: -Should I practice the test at all over the coming weeks, or just focus on the above? If so, would a test day just replace the Resets?
Regular practice is vital to long term PFT success. Practice allows you to gauge your training success and inoculates you against test anxiety. But, if you have two weeks, it is what it is. You don't have time to practice. You have to prepare as best you can.

Stew Smith has a free article/program called "15 Days Away from the PFT." It might help you.

How did the PFT sneak up on you like this? I'm asking so other applicants can learn from the situation. Usually MIL/LEO applicants know far in advance when they will have to take a PFT.
kind of a unique situation for me. i re-applied to a position but wasn't sure whether i would have to re-do all phases of testing or pick up where i left off. as soon as i applied, i started training again. it was the latter, and i got a call to take my PFT out of the blue, which was when i also found out that i wouldn't have to re-do prior steps. also note that the time between my re-application and the call was under 2 weeks. i've passed the test in the past, and passed the self-administered as i mentioned, but my runs are a struggle.

i did the 15 days out Stew Smith plan in the past, but i have a mixed opinion on the guy and the programs. some of the stuff just seems like it's throwing a bunch of random exercises in.