LE Physical Fitness Test Help/Advice

MxS/SE/HIC/E
close_fox

Re: LE Physical Fitness Test Help/Advice

Post by close_fox »

spemma wrote: kind of a unique situation for me. i re-applied to a position but wasn't sure whether i would have to re-do all phases of testing or pick up where i left off. as soon as i applied, i started training again. it was the latter, and i got a call to take my PFT out of the blue, which was when i also found out that i wouldn't have to re-do prior steps. also note that the time between my re-application and the call was under 2 weeks. i've passed the test in the past, and passed the self-administered as i mentioned, but my runs are a struggle.

i did the 15 days out Stew Smith plan in the past, but i have a mixed opinion on the guy and the programs. some of the stuff just seems like it's throwing a bunch of random exercises in.
I have used two or three of his prep programs in the past. Both were very high volume...the programs "worked" on the whole, but I had some recovery/overtraining issues during them. I have used the 15 day program as a PFT "tune up" with good results. But looks like you've already tried it. Wish I could help more. Good luck.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

spemma wrote:Thank you to you both. A few follow-up questions:

-Are the Fast5 considered tempo runs? I did one this morning at the suggested 80-85% heart rate per the book.
-What would my SE work be? Continue from BB, or something else? Also, what is the suggested frequency?
-I will follow the 1 x LISS, 2 x Fast5, and 1x600m Resets, which = 4 workouts >> does that mean +2 SE, so 6 workouts per week?
-Should I practice the test at all over the coming weeks, or just focus on the above? If so, would a test day just replace the Resets?
Fast5 can be a tempo run. Keep it a gear below race pace. Doesn't have to be 5k, but I'd recommend a minimum of 3 miles. I say 3 miles because one of the reasons to do tempo is to get your body used to the lactate that's generated at faster paces for longer periods of time...i.e the "pain".

spemma

Post by spemma »

what's the benefit to running over my tested distance? for example - 3.0 miles instead of the 1.5 miles tested, and 600m resets instead of 300m resets.

genuinely wondering.

i could see the mental benefits, but are there physiological as well?

Block20GoesBoom

Post by Block20GoesBoom »

spemma wrote:what's the benefit to running over my tested distance? for example - 3.0 miles instead of the 1.5 miles tested, and 600m resets instead of 300m resets.

genuinely wondering.

I believe it has to do with your lactate threshold and building it up. Going to have to wait for someone with a bit more knowledge to chime in.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

spemma wrote:what's the benefit to running over my tested distance? for example - 3.0 miles instead of the 1.5 miles tested, and 600m resets instead of 300m resets.

genuinely wondering.

one of the reasons to do tempo is to get your body used to the lactate that's generated at faster paces for longer periods of time

Also it's an aerobic test. Longer distances bring about better aerobic adaptation in all areas; vascular efficiency, cardiac adaptations, mitochondria function, muscular endurance.
Also it's a mental thing. You'll rarely rise to the occasion, rather you'll fall to the level of your training come test day. Get used to doing more than the bare minimum.

spemma

Post by spemma »

Aelian wrote:

genuinely wondering.

one of the reasons to do tempo is to get your body used to the lactate that's generated at faster paces for longer periods of time

Also it's an aerobic test. Longer distances bring about better aerobic adaptation in all areas; vascular efficiency, cardiac adaptations, mitochondria function, muscular endurance.
Also it's a mental thing. You'll rarely rise to the occasion, rather you'll fall to the level of your training come test day. Get used to doing more than the bare minimum.
got it, thanks!

what variables should a person focus on for the fast5 tempo work? increasing speed first, then distance, or vice versa? i'm assuming if one could do the fast 5 in sub 25 mins, then it might be best to start adding distance?

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

spemma wrote:
Aelian wrote:

genuinely wondering.

got it, thanks!

what variables should a person focus on for the fast5 tempo work? increasing speed first, then distance, or vice versa? i'm assuming if one could do the fast 5 in sub 25 mins, then it might be best to start adding distance?
You're overthinking it brother. One foot in front of the other. Go as fast as you can less a gear. Get your 5k down to 20-22 first, then worry about variables.

spemma

Post by spemma »

Aelian wrote:
spemma wrote:
Aelian wrote:

got it, thanks!

You're overthinking it brother. One foot in front of the other. Go as fast as you can less a gear. Get your 5k down to 20-22 first, then worry about variables.
Will do!

Hopefully last question - what should I do post test? Re-run BB, or keep doing what's prescribed in this thread?

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

spemma wrote:
Aelian wrote:
spemma wrote:
got it, thanks!

Will do!

Hopefully last question - what should I do post test? Re-run BB, or keep doing what's prescribed in this thread?
Depends on what your goals are post test. This is the kind of thing that's a personal decision, based on your strengths, weaknesses, where you are now, and where you need to be. Reading TBI & II should give you a clear mental picture of how to proceed, and spells everything out in great detail. You've read both books?

spemma

Post by spemma »

I read TBII, but I'm in the process of re-reading it. TBII is my first book of the TB series, so no, haven't read TBI. But I have lifted my whole life, probably to the detriment of other aspects of my fitness (e.g. Conditioning).